Replacing Alternator - 1997 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Alternator - 1997 Festiva

Hi all.. the alternator in my wife's Festiva has died... I'm planning on replacing it tomorrow but every time I look at it I just can't figure how on earth you're meant to get in there to get it out!... so I'm hoping someone can give me a quick rundown on how to replace an alternator on a 1997 Festiva (australian version). It also has aircon and has the coolant pipe running around the top rear area of the motor.

Does it come out from the top or bottom?

Thanks in advance for any tips

Welcome.

Where abouts in australia are you?

Going off memory there should be a plug you have to unclip then unbolt the ground wire i think it is, with a 10mm socket. Then again off memory there should be 2 bolts both 14 mm taking those out and it should come out of the bracket.

Hope that helps.

ps theres heaps of space bottom side.

Nick.
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Hey Nick... I'm from the Riverland in South Oz.

So you'd recommend removing from the underside of the car? Cool... I'll load it up on the ramps before I pull the old one out then.

I thought replacing the alt on my EL was bad enough a couple months back... these Festi's are twice as tight to get into!

Cheers
      Carl

Comment

All done... wasn't as hard as anticipated. Once under the vehicle I was surprised at how much access there was to it. Looking down from the top it doesn't look like it!

For others searching for this info;

Upper mount bolt: 12mm
        Rear Positive lead nut: 10mm
        Lower mount bolt: 14mm

The wiring harness connector on my particular model didn't have a metal retainer clip, just a plastic retainer lug that you push it on remove.

Cheers
        Carl

Comment

I removed mine from underneath. I actually replaced it with a GMC truck Alt ( Had to change the bracket a little and by pass the plug with a wire) so I could get enough juice to run a very very very powerful Audio system I installed and still have the head lights work.

Comment

^^ I was going to say 12mm on the eggs.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Working...
            X