Help! stuck brake caliper tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! stuck brake caliper tool!

So I'm using the brake caliper tool I rented from vato zone to recess the piston in my passenger rear brake caliper, and after compressing the piston the damn tool won't come out. Any help here would be great!

Taylor

Bigger hammer.

Loosen the tool slightly, so its still blocking the piston, then push the brake pedal to posh the piston out, dislodging the tool.

Comment

You rented a tool for the calipers?
      I just use a 6" C-clamp.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Big pliers here. What does this tool look like? Does not compute.

Wow. Somebody got really really bored one day.
        Last edited by sketchman; 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
          Bigger hammer.

Loosen the tool slightly, so its still blocking the piston, then push the brake pedal to posh the piston out, dislodging the tool.
          X2!! Read my quote/sig.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorDFW View Post
            to recess the piston in my passenger rear brake caliper
            REAR? caliper? what vehicle is this on

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Hehe, thanks for the replies guys!

First off, I figured out that I needed to wrench off a portion of the tool to get it to release. So in that regard, I have no issue anymore. Next time I do this job, I will DEFINITELY use a "C" clamp, as this tool was way too cumbersome.

And yes, rear calipers. I picked up a '94 Swift GT last week and so far love it. I am still vigorously looking a Festy, but after almost two months of looking with no luck I jumped on this car when I found it.

Taylor

Comment

500HP, anyone?

In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Don't you have to turn the rear calipers in? Forcing them straight in may damage them... FYI.

Comment

if the caliper is also your e-brake, you'll still need to use the special tool to recess the piston properly.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      if the caliper is also your e-brake, you'll still need to use the special tool to recess the piston properly.
                      Yes it is the e-brake and why I got the special tool. However, most people I have talked to since have said they prefer a 6" C-clamp.

Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by TaylorDFW View Post
                        Yes it is the e-brake and why I got the special tool. However, most people I have talked to since have said they prefer a 6" C-clamp.

Taylor
                        Most people you talk to probably don't realize you're talking about a rear caliper, either.

Or, it's possible that you have a caliper that doesn't need to be turned back in. I can generally push a caliper piston in with my thumbs and a brake pad. If it takes much more force than that, you're probably damaging something.

Comment

Since i have not dealt with rear calipers that have an e-brake mechanism on it, i can't really be much help, maybe pics could help some of us understand whats going on?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Probably close to the same thing as Cadillac rear calipers. The piston has notches in them that you use a caliper adjusting tool to turn the calipers in. You can also use some needlenose pliers if your without the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                              Most people you talk to probably don't realize you're talking about a rear caliper, either.
                              Bingo!
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X