reason for front wheel play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reason for front wheel play?

When I hold the top of the tire and shake there is a bit of play. A search of the site suggests worn bearings but they are brand new. Could it be something else?

I put new bearings in two hub-and-knuckle assemblies, one is the original and the other is from an auto wrecker. Both have this bit of play in the driver's side wheel. They are okay at first but after a test drive around the block there it is. Actually it's three times because I thought the first set may have been out of spec and exchanged them for a different brand. I'm getting real good at replacing bearings but really just want to be able to drive the car. I assume driving with a bit of play in the wheel is not good so don't.

Thanks for any insight.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

So isnt this the same subject you was talking about before when you made preload shims out of food cans Man?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

You either didn't tighten your cv axle nut tight enough or you have bearing spacers that are too thick.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks. I guess I continue to focus on the bearings.

nitrofarm: I gave up on the shims and tried new bearings in both RF hubs today, 12 hrs. Holding off on the second road test until morning but don't expect any joy. Need to find someone in Ottawa to do preload spacer selection.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          Thanks. I guess I continue to focus on the bearings.

nitrofarm: I gave up on the shims and tried new bearings in both RF hubs today, 12 hrs. Holding off on the second road test until morning but don't expect any joy. Need to find someone in Ottawa to do preload spacer selection.
          Measure what you got then buy some Kia that are .002 thinner than what you measured. Thats wasy better than a food can shim. Otherwise if it aint that loose, run it that way. Loose is fast

Comment

So far so good with the current combination. Wheel tight after short test drive. There may be some noise or that may be my imagination as I'm overly sensitive to these bearings at this point.

nitrofarm: What are the consequences of driving the car with slight play in the bearings?I wouldn't mind as long if doesn't damage the hub or steering knuckle.

Comment

So far so good with the current combination. Wheel tight after short test drive. There may be some noise or that may be my imagination as I'm overly sensitive to these bearings at this point.

nitrofarm: What are the consequences of driving the car with slight play in the bearings?I wouldn't mind as long if doesn't damage the hub or steering knuckle.
              As long as its not super loose its not gonna hurt much. Too tight is bad in my opinion it ruins the hub/knuckle for sure. Just monitor it as you use the car. Or buy .002 different shims & experiment with those-

Comment

Correction-you want a .016 different shim.Thats the incremants they come in.

Comment

Gidday; I am also an Ottawa boy. I have a mechanic buddy that serviced my Festivas during the time (2 years ago) when I was running 2000 km per week as a courier and working in the driveway in rain or the winter cold was not an option. He provided the shop, hoist, torches and supervision for the Aspire swap of this spring. He's quite bemused with these little cars and I doubt he'd turn away another customer. His shop is in Barrhaven.
                  This whole pre-load spacer business had me baffled at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    Gidday; I am also an Ottawa boy. I have a mechanic buddy that serviced my Festivas during the time (2 years ago) when I was running 2000 km per week as a courier and working in the driveway in rain or the winter cold was not an option. He provided the shop, hoist, torches and supervision for the Aspire swap of this spring. He's quite bemused with these little cars and I doubt he'd turn away another customer. His shop is in Barrhaven.
                    This whole pre-load spacer business had me baffled at one time.
                    See there WMWatt maybe you can hook up with this fellow-Otherwise I'm going to be doing my Aspire. I just took the LH bearings apart cuz they felt like crap. Lo and behold no freaky deaky preload spacer :angry4:. If you want I'll walk ya through it.

Comment

What are the consequences of driving the car with slight play in the bearings?
                      When properly adjusted, all of the rollers are involved in bearing the load all the time. If too loose, only some of the rollers are bearing the load at any given time (and not evenly along their entire length either) and so they will wear out rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                      X