Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is stabbing this engine so difficult?!?.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is stabbing this engine so difficult?!?.....

Is it because I'm doing it by myself? I've got the driver's CV shaft removed, 3 of the 4 crossmember bolts removed so I can slide the trans back. At this point I'm figuring on putting the jack under there and undoing the 4th bolt so I can slide it back even more. I had the input inside the pressure plate fingers, but I couldn't get the input into the pilot bearing, and yes, its still centered.

I put the front mount on so I knew about where I had to be, maybe take it back off.

I've also got to replace the outer boot on the shaft and I'm having a hard time getting the CV off the end, any secrets there?
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Well, its in. Dunno if the pilot bearing is okay or not. I wouldn't do it that way again, I'd either pull both or just the tranny. Speaking of tranny, someone asked if I checked the fluid level (i haven't yet). The input had no play at all. If you pull the axle, will fluid run out of the hole? Mine didn't. On my Shadow, it does, but its an auto.
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

According to the Haynes manual the CV joint does not come apart. The inner joint does so presumably you replace the outer boot from the inner end? Have not done this myself but looking forward to it soon.
      I was told here fluid comes out when the axle is removed. Mine does. It's an '89 manual 4-speed.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Larry, they make boots that expand and slip on over the CV knuckle or they make split boots. If not the CV end will come off, it is on the end of the axle with a clip like the one found on the end of the knuckle that goes in the transmission.

You should have had fluid come out when you pulled the axle, it must have had a leak and been low already.

As for the pilot, they usually send one with the kit. If you replaced it just make sure the tip of the input shaft is nice and clean and free of rust and dirt. Then just dab a touch of grease on the end before you try to slip it in again, sometimes they can be a bit tough getting the splines lined up and the input pushed into the pilot bearing.

Hope this helps some.
        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Well, the Haynes is wrong, and if you've ever used a split boot, you'd know you're wasting your time. I removed the clamps and slid the boot up the shaft after I removed it from the car. A few firm taps with a ball pien on the outer edge finally got it moving. I used a universal Dorman boot kit from O'Reilly's, the big end fit well but the inside is a little loose for my taste.

I ended up not replacing the clutch, it was new. I got a pilot and a throwout, but only replaced the throwout as the pilot felt the same. I'm worried now that maybe its was the fluid level in the tranny the whole time. It does leave a spot, but I'm not sure where its leaking from.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

[QUOTE=Larry Hampton;436251]Well, its in. Dunno if the pilot bearing is okay or not. I wouldn't do it that way again, I'd either pull both or just the tranny. Yep & no Antifreeze when you pull the tranny Just remember there are 10 not nine bolts holding the tranny to the motor.
            And I'm glad to hear the input shaft is tight but thats a bummer about the tranny fluid. Before you top it off.Drain it and measure how much you have. I think its @ 2.5 qts to fill. So if you only drain 1 qt you know it was really low.
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thanks. It's not the first time the Haynes manual has been wrong or misleading.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I'm going ahead and draining the fluid to change it. Haynes (hope its right) says 2.6 quarts of Mercron. I'm changing the coolant too with a full flush. I don't see a heater valve under the good, is there one under the dash? Or is it like my '65 Mustang in that coolant always flows thru the heater coil?
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Nitrofarm, I believe you were the one that said pull the tranny, but I went with the concensus, wished I hadn't, but that's where wisdom comes from, experience.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Geez Louise!!! Someone really did a number on this tranny. At the end of the tranny on the bottom is a bolt that holds a spring and a ball. This boss is cracked off. I used some epoxy to glue it back on, I hope it holds. Also, when I pulled the drain plug, it was finger tight and wrapped with teflon tape. Removed the tape, bolt goes into hole without turning!!! GRRRR!!!! Just got back from the Zone with an oversized drain plug. Hope it works.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                      Geez Louise!!! Someone really did a number on this tranny. At the end of the tranny on the bottom is a bolt that holds a spring and a ball. This boss is cracked off. I used some epoxy to glue it back on, I hope it holds. Also, when I pulled the drain plug, it was finger tight and wrapped with teflon tape. Removed the tape, bolt goes into hole without turning!!! GRRRR!!!! Just got back from the Zone with an oversized drain plug. Hope it works.
                      Dude I feel your pain. Dont you just love finding this stuff out when your trying to get in back on the road. Hang in there Larry. How much fluid came out?
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Man, only a quart!!!

It's got 2.6 in it now, either way, the noise is gone and I'll keep closer tabs on the tranny level.

I think the likely reason more of these cars aren't on the road is the preventive maintenace intervals. Check your tranny fluid every 15,000, change your timing belt at 60,000...
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                        X