spindle nut on wheel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spindle nut on wheel!

im having a real hard time getting the spindle nut on the front driver side wheel off. anyone know a easy way to get it off?

:wav:
    Clink... Clank... BOOM!

This is not normally a tough deal, do you have access to a 1/2 in electric or air impact. At the point were the nut is swedged you may have to pry it up a little to help the nut come loose. good luck.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

my boyfriend pryed it up and used a impact gun to get it off and it didnt budge. put a ratchet with a wrench on the end and tried backing up and nothing... its on there good.

:wav:
      Clink... Clank... BOOM!

Comment

try heating it with a propane torch first. O/A torch will melt the seals on the spindle...

A snap-on mg725 with the right socket will bust that sucker off.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

OK glad you were able to try some things, next try some heat, like a map gas torch, Rust Penatrant or Maybe PB Blaster.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

1/2 breaker bar and a four foot long cheater pipe and it will come loose.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Some kind of penetrating oil and an extension pipe on the handle of the socket driver. Put your whole body weight on the extension and bounce to break the nut free. Turning the socket with a ratchet could break the ratchet. Turning the socket with a breaker bar (universal joint driver) could too but not nearly as likely. I have a T-bar driver which I swear by.

The keep the wheel from turning you can put two lug bolts in and wedge a crowbar between them and the ground. If you don't have that position the handle parallel to the ground so you're pushing straight down. That won't make the car roll so much. Block the wheel with a brick or something.
              Last edited by WmWatt; 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I'm guessing heat will be needed. I wonder if it was put on with red (permanent) Loctite?
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                X