New member - Fuel tank issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member - Fuel tank issues

Hello, all! I'm not fully sure where this should all go, but I'm getting a Festiva in a 'couple' of days. Here's the backstory:

I found a Festiva for sale for $750 O.B.O. fairly locally and we went out to look at it (1990 Auto, didn't think to see if it was an L or L Plus, had A/C). It felt like it rode pretty well, all things considering, and it being our first time in a Festiva (rode like a go-cart, fairly bumpy, on a country back-road, but pretty fun). There were only two areas of rust I could find: one small spot by the rear window on the hatch, and the driver side skirt was just starting. Underside looked pretty clean, engine looked very clean, odometer read 182,000. We made a deal for weekly payments, made a down-payment, and went from there.

The person we're buying it from called a few days later and said "Deal's off, as the gas is leaking pretty quickly, and it's not as you saw it. Fuel line is rusted."

Took me a few days to get back in touch with him (as I really, really did want this adorable little Festiva) and immediately he said "I'll take less as it sits, if you still want it." So we made a new deal, I'll be making my final payment this Friday. Then we'll figure out how to get it here.

So here's the problem: After talking to him for a bit, it was hard to tell if he meant the fuel line or the gas tank was rusting. But what it seems he's saying is, the area where the gas tank connects to the fuel line is what's rusting (might be sending unit, as a local mechanic I talked to said, but I do not know). What I'm wondering is, depending on which of the two it is, what would be the best way to go about repairing it? Is it something that can be welded (is it worth the money to weld it), or should I go the new tank route? I'll still be needing a fuel line either way, as he keeps saying that will need to be replaced. Where can I find a fuel line? I've searched all over the Internet, called several places, even called a few junk yards. No dice. To what I can tell, and as y'all would know, Ford stopped making the part.

This will be our (my mom and I) first Festiva, and MY first car. I've been looking at Festivas for quite a while, love seeing them driving around, putt-putt-putting along, and have (for atleast the last two years) really wanted one. After reading this forum for a while, I see they truly are awesome little cars.

To what I know, the Festiva has newish brakes, new-used tires, 13-inch rims and new plugs/wires/ect. Annnd, it's RED! Aren't they all?

And no worries to those who might ask: I'll be posting pictures once I own it.

That's all for now.

Thanks for any help!

~Spike
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Welcome aboard!

You need to be more specific about where in IN you are.
    There is a great group of guy's out that way, that I'm sure will be happy to help you.

Can't help much till you have a closer look at the tank/fuel line and get us more info.
    But, I can say with near certainty that the fuel sender is not causing your leak.
    So for your own sake, stay away from the local mechanic!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've updated my area as much as I'm allowed to. :tongue10:

The mechanic is pretty trusted in the area, and has worked on our cars many times, with great success. I just don't think he's been near a Festiva in years. He did comment about how good they run when they're runnin' right. But we'll see, I suppose.

Hopefully will have the car in a few days. Can't wait.

~Spike
      1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        Annnd, it's RED! Aren't they all?
        Welcome to FF.com

My Festiva's the factory red color, and it's an excellent shade of red. I would guestimate that 1 out every 12 Festivas came with the red paint. I went to a KC area meet last summer, and mine was the only red one out of 10 cars.

I'm a country boy, and I think I 'ciphered your backstory pretty well. It sounds like the steel fuel line needs to be replaced. I'd use brake line from any auto parts, it's probably a $20.00 fix. You'll may have to remove the back seat, which is no big deal.

If you have a running Festiva with minimal rust for under $750.00 you got an excellent deal.

I pulled mine from the junk yard for $375.00 and started replacing parts. I have over $2000 in it now, but it's well worth it. I couldn't understand why all these high performance guys liked the Festiva so well until I rebuilt and upgraded the suspension a little bit. The handling and steering is just incredible.

I've 'test' driven Corvettes, Trans Ams, Z-28's and a 911 Porsche. The Festiva's handling ranks with the big boys. I really like it.

I hope you get it home without too much trouble. Pics are always good. We'll try to help you keep it running.

My sister and nephew live in Pendleton, Ind.
        Last edited by BigElCat; 07-18-2011, 10:26 PM.
        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

possibly the plate that the sending unit and pump mount to where the 90 degree nipple fitting is could be rusted through, maybe that's why the mechanic said it was the sender??? what do you think Pu241?
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
          Projects in the works:
          84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Welcome! I live in Columbus which is pretty close.

With some pics and more info I'm sure we will be able to help you. Sounds like it might be something simple, hopefully!

Congrats on the purchase, you won't be disappointed!
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Welcome to the site! I also frequent the Bedford-Bloomington area. It's not uncommon for our tanks to rust at the seams. I had an issue with mine. Tanks are easy to replace in these. If a line has in fact rusted out, I've made replacement lines from straight stock available at pretty much any parts store.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk
              91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
              92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
              95 Grand Prix SE DD
              Wife's Stuff:
              89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
              97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
              Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

Welcome! Glad to see another Festiva has found it's home among the ranks of the largest Festiva owners club in the world! Let me be the first to recommend a BP swap for your auto Festy. The wiring harness is 99% the same, so you can use the Festiva wiring harness, and the transmission bolts right up. You'll enjoy your car quite a bit more, and you won't have a problem with onramps and offramps or passing when you need to. Also, when you can afford it, I highly suggest getting Line-X or Rhino Liner sprayed on the underbody of your car to block rust after you remove what's there. I'm looking forward to pictures!
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Thanks to all who've posted.

Neat to see there are Festiva clubbers this close to me.

It'd be pretty great if it was a $20 fix, but even if it isn't, I still think I got a darn good deal.

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                  My Festiva's the factory red color, and it's an excellent shade of red. I would guestimate that 1 out every 12 Festivas came with the red paint. I went to a KC area meet last summer, and mine was the only red one out of 10 cars.
                  Noooo. Now I'll feel slightly worse painting it yellow and chroming the bumpers.

~Spike
                  1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                    Thanks to all who've posted.

Neat to see there are Festiva clubbers this close to me.

It'd be pretty great if it was a $20 fix, but even if it isn't, I still think I got a darn good deal.

Noooo. Now I'll feel slightly worse painting it yellow and chroming the bumpers.

~Spike
                    ohsnap
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

UPDATE:

Talked to him again, and he has a flatbed he can get a hold of. The guy's really nice and seemingly wants me to get a good deal and keep it on the road.

He said he'll hopefully be able to flatbed it over here within 3-4 days (figuring he can get his manager to give him a day off work). Yayyy.

I can't wait.

And can a brake line really be used as a fuel line?

~Spike
                      1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Welcome aboard!

Can't help much till you have a closer look at the tank/fuel line and get us more info.
                        But, I can say with near certainty that the fuel sender is not causing your leak.
                        So for your own sake, stay away from the local mechanic!
                        x2
                        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

It's finally here!

Well, this sure took long enough, didn't it?

First of all.. remember how I said he'd take 'less'? That less happened to be $300. And he would tow it to us.

Problems arose, I won't go into detail on it right now - unless everyone wants to hear a loooong story. To sum it up, we payed $125 for a tow, he payed $50 of it, and the car 'technically' cost us $250. Plus a tow, but I prefer to say I got my first car for $250.

It's now sitting in our driveway, has no plug wires (got those today, will be putting in tomorrow after work), but turns over. I HAVE PICTURES.

But somehow in all the excitement of getting my first car, I didn't even think to take pictures of the fuel problem. I'll make sure to do that tomorrow.

I made a Photobucket account (I've never used it before, so we'll see if this works), and have a few photos of my sexy new car. First three are a little dark, but hopefully the rest are okay enough for y'all. (Note: I DO have all four rims/tires, unsure why he put the donut on.) Also, anyone have any idea what those rims are off of? I'm not fully sure I've seen them before. They're 155/13s, I believe.

So I shall be back tomorrow with more pictures and, most likely, many more questions. :iconbiggrin::scratch: Here's the link to my album:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

WHOOHOOOOOOO.

~Spike
                          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

great buy on you car and it looks great, i like that tach!
                            Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

I like it!

I don't recognize the wheels, but they look good. If they're really 13", you got a great bonus! The passenger side door mirror is bonus, too.
                              '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
                              X