Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1 engine cylinder head bolts re-torque possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 engine cylinder head bolts re-torque possible?

Hi guys!

Is it possible to re-torque head bolts on my b1 engine? I did overhauled my head and forgot to check the torque again after 1000km now the engine has run about 30000km since then and i noticed that some parts of the engine where the edges of the head gasket can be seen are a bit oily. i only drive in city and i dont drive hard too. oil levels never move down from full and no coolant leaks as well. engine runs great its just that the oily sides are my concern. I guess the head gasket are ok and only needs tightening the head bolts to spec. (56-60 lbs-ft is the torque i got from a repair manual for B3 and B1 mazda) any advice on this? Thanks!

If you do re-torque, make sure the motor is completely cold, like first thing in the morning. I would loosen the bolts first, then start fresh when torquing all of them. But if you are not losing oil or coolant, maybe it's best to leave it alone.

1.1 motor makes me think you are in Oz?

Are you sure your oil seepage isn't from the valve cover gasket?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks TominMO!

I'm in the Philippines actually my car is a 92 Kia pride lx with carbed B1.

nope, oil seepage starts from the head gasket level down to the upper parts of the block. most are on the corners of the engine but basically it doesn't look serious it just make the engine dirty coz it attracts dust and needs regular cleaning with a rag.

do you regularly re-torque your head bolts or only if needed?

Comment

only if needed for me.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd retorque them, but wouldn't loosen them first. Once you've done one "retorque" like after a head gasket change, you shouldn't need to do it again. That is, if no one overheats it. If it's get overheated it really needs to be inspected.
          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by dca052 View Post
            Thanks TominMO!

I'm in the Philippines actually my car is a 92 Kia pride lx with carbed B1.

nope, oil seepage starts from the head gasket level down to the upper parts of the block. most are on the corners of the engine but basically it doesn't look serious it just make the engine dirty coz it attracts dust and needs regular cleaning with a rag.

do you regularly re-torque your head bolts or only if needed?
            From what you are saying, I'd just leave it alone. Not needed. You don't want to end up saying "It ran fine until I fixed it."
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I see so it's really nothing to be worried about. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X