Rear drum brake seized help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear drum brake seized help!

alright here's the deal, I have been given a professional opinion that stated: "the springs have enough tension it is the two pieces binding on each other that's causing your shoes to stick which is why they don't move in and out as much as they should when you hit the brakes."

Basically I tried to change the shoes in the rear brakes because they weren't working and when i tried to put the drum back on it wouldn't go back on because the shoes weren't all the way in their non-braking position and were sticking out abit. Apparently this is the result of the self adjuster sticking on itself and not going in all the way.

My question is: where can I find a replacement part for this (the ones circled in red) and instead of replacing the part, can I file down the binding spot to make them slide easier?
    Last edited by stingy goose; 07-20-2011, 09:21 PM.

I've been thru this too, not being able to get the drum back on. Get the adjuster in as far as you can, so the shoes aren't expanded; that's only part of the issue. The other one I came up against is making sure the shoes were "round"--that is, the two shoes made a perfect circle. If one shoe or the other, or both, is too high or low, they won't let the drum get back on. Just play around with the shoes, tapping them gently up and down, and you will eventually find the right alignment.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

i had this problem. but i just sat there for a few hours staring at thinking crap i have to get up early in the am for work. and it fixed itself... ha i wish. just make sure everything is clean, your adjuster is as closed as possible and give it a little wiggle wigle
      :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

forgot to mention that not only will the drum not go on but if you rip the ebrake or push the brake pedal they don't move. We had them moving before but once we had more springs on they didn't want to move anymore so the solution I'm looking for is not how to get the drum on but how to get the drum on AND make the brakes work

Comment

That part was ment to stay put until the brakes wear a bit, The last thing you want to do is file the little notchings off to make it slide easy.
          Personally I think you either don't have it adjusted in far enough, you purchased cheap shoes which are either to thick or not built to spec or you have another problem that was the issue in the first place.

It is possible you have seized up pistons in the wheel cylinders as well.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

If I understand what you're saying, I think you have two problems.

One, the self adjuster is frozen. Clamp it in a vise and knock the other end back/forth until it frees up. Then do it some more followed by a good cleaning with a wire wheel.

Second, it sounds like your wheel cylinder pistons may be stuck and not push the shoes out. You should be able to push the piston with you finger on one side and cause the other side piston to push out of the cylinder.

You couldn't get a big enough pull back spring inside the hub that would be strong enough to stop the shoes from expanding if your hydraulics were working like they should be.

Comment

Working...
            X