b3 vs b6 thermostat-any difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b3 vs b6 thermostat-any difference?

hay guys, just wondering if these are the same temp. rating or not, i have to replace mine on my 1.3 and i have an extra good one from my 1.6, any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance !

Do it.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

LOL sounds good, i take it there that same then

Comment

Enter the thermostat you have into one of the Mcauto parts stores web site. Most of them show compatibility for other motors. I just selected 1993 ford festiva as my car and then searched for thermostat. The one that pulled up says it will work with a (1995) mazda 323 1598 cc SOHC plus 123 other vehicles. Just an idea.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

They are, I reused my b3 one
          B6 with lightweight Flywheel, FMS street cam
          Holy heck gee willickers its fast!!drool

Comment

Looking for a dual stage thermostat at the parts store, I remembered my girlfriends '90 323 B6 used one and looked identical to the one I pulled from the B3. Bought the part and it fits and works great.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

thanks guys, i actually ended up buying a new one because they were only 12 bucks at Canadian Tire, i got one rated for 180 degrees (they had 175,180 and 190 for some reason)

Comment

You bought a regular thermostat. The one that works the
                best in your b3 you have to buy it at a Mazda parts store. Around 20
                bucks and its a two stage thermostat. Get one for a 86 -88 1.6 323
                engine.
                1992 black GL
                1991 white GL
                1991 blue L parts car
                1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
                1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

really? so whats the real difference between the genaric and the dealership one?

Comment

Originally posted by funky technician View Post
                    really? so whats the real difference between the genaric and the dealership one?
                    14 bucks. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dealership one has two of the valves or whatever they're called; a small one at the top, and the normal-sized larger one. Frankly I'd just get the better of the two Stant thermostats listed for Festys.

Here is the part-locator page; you want the premium thermostat, i either 180 or 195 degrees:
                    Last edited by TominMO; 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The wrong thermostat on a tired engine puts it to the grave that much faster. For the b3 to get all of its potential out, it really needs that OEM dual stage one.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Looks like this is a good one from Canadian Tires catalogue:

Motorad Fail Safe Thermostat
                        * Product Number : 14-4030-2
                        * Manufacturer Part Number : 7323-192
                        * Brand : Motorad
                        * Comments : FAILSAFE THERMOSTAT - 192 DEGREE
                        * $12.99

Was present searching for both the 1998 Mazda 323 1.6 and 1993 Ford Festiva GL 1.3.

Putting this in here because I think I may need one as well.. getting pressurization and overheating during warm waether now which it never really did before. Actually running more water through it right now than gas I think..
                        Carz:
                        '09 Ford F-150
                        '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
                        '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
                        225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
                        ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                          The wrong thermostat on a tired engine puts it to the grave that much faster. For the b3 to get all of its potential out, it really needs that OEM dual stage one.
                          Is that because the aftermarket replacement can't adjust the temperature fast enough or something or is the heat range off? I nothiced the little secondary plunger on the stat i took out, kinda neat, the replacement looked of silmilar quality just without that smaller plunger, so where can you get the right one? at the mazda dealer? ask for what, a 323 thermostat for what year?
                          thanks

Comment

I think i see what you guys mean, i installed the generic brand one (prestone) now the needle normaly sits at 1/4 and if i run it for a while, like on the high way, or in the heat, it will creep up to half, so clearly its not doing a very good job, so I'm going to go get the factory one tomorrow, but just to be clear, its at the mazda dealership, its the thermostat for and 86-88 323 FI? is that correct?
                            thanks for all the help guys

Comment

88-94 323 should fit fine
                              -Zack
                              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                              X