Control arm removal problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arm removal problem

I managed to get my passenger side control arm off very quickly, but when it came time to do the drivers side, the nut and bolt that hold the arm to the frame keep spinning. I tried to jam various objects into the small access hole for the nut, but nothing has helped so far. Does anyone have a tip or trick that could help?
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Happened to me once on driver side. Had to cut the bottom of the box section then was able to remove. Forgot all about it until I went in for an alignment and the guy gave me all kinds on crap. Guess I forgot to weld it closed.

Now I'm not sure that is the best way to do it but I did get it out and it is fixable when done. Take it with a grain of salt if you will.
    -Bryant

Comment

Take a sawzall and cut the bolt oon the side of the arm along with the rubber bushing. Hit the leftover screw and castelated nut out with a hammer. Get a new gague 10 bolt and nut with a lockwasher. I wouldn't cut the frame, just the bolt and washer(which you generally replace anyway). Make sure you get the high grade bolt! If you dont have access to a sawzall you can use a hacksaw, but it takes forever. Also you will probably need a new blade when you are done. I did this on mine, the whole process took me about 30min.
      89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

How about an angle grinder? Will it fit in there?
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X