Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva keeps dying....

The Gremlin:

had this car since May and replaced the crank seal when I got it, all was fine and then the Cam seal blew (only had the money for one at a time, replaced the waterpump that started leaking at the same time the seal blew) now I've started driving it again after a month and a half hiatus and now I start it up and it runs fine, I put it in gear and it immediately stalls out, and gives a fit trying to start it again..... It's currently parked at a neighbor's house until I can get it running again. it has a hard time accelerating in 1st gear. I'm personally thinking it's a clogged cat, if that's the case, since there aren't any emissions I was thinking it'd be simple to just gut the cat and be done. Anyone here have any ideas I can try before I cut my resonator loose to get access to the cat??? Also it does NOT Idle.....
    Last edited by DrMaxwellEdison; 07-27-2011, 06:53 PM.
    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
    89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
    Projects in the works:
    84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Well you can always drill a hole in the pipe before the cat and see how it runs if you believe it's clogged.

Comment

A vacuum guage will give an indication of a clogged exhaust. See the permanent thread at the top of the forum on vacuum guage diagnostics.

If you think it's in the clutch or transmission you could try putting the front end up on stands (or blocks), starting the car, and putting it in gear. You can shift through the gears as well.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

it's an auto.... so it's a torque converter instead of a clutch.... I've already gutted one cat on another car, so it shouldn't be a big deal with the other car now...
        Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
        Projects in the works:
        84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

I'd unbolt the down pipe to the cat first and see if it runs any better, to ID a clogged cat before gutting it!
          Might not be what you think it is.
          Remember: diagnose first then replace/repair parts!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've tried unbolting them, no luck.... I'll try again, but the next time I try I'll Blast it.... I didn't want to do that while it wasn't at my house (or the house of a close friend or significant other) I'm taking it to a friend who has a shed/garage I can work on it in while it's hot out to get it running faster... because I HATE working on the cars in the sun, gotten sun poisoning a few times because of it.... I have a friend lending me a trailer/tow dolly so i can use the Ford Ranger I've been planning to buy from him to haul it to the house.... hope for progress tomorrow
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            Projects in the works:

Comment

having just thought about it, I have a couple different down pipes if I need to heavily modify one...
              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
              Projects in the works:

Comment

Are you sure that it was put back together (timing belt) correctly when you replaced the seals. No power in first and dying when trying to take off were problems I was having with my daughters car and it turned out it was 2 teeth off when someone dropped a new motor in it.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Maybe the vane in your VAF needs lubed. I had a sticky one once and my car kept dying. Its also the source of your fuel pump switch. Just throwing it out there. Its probably never been service and has been sitting for awhile.
                  Last edited by freshtiva; 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM.
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    Are you sure that it was put back together (timing belt) correctly when you replaced the seals. No power in first and dying when trying to take off were problems I was having with my daughters car and it turned out it was 2 teeth off when someone dropped a new motor in it.
                    Timing is dead on.....
                    Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                    Projects in the works:

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                      Maybe the vane in your VAF needs lubed. I had a sticky one once and my car kept dying. Its also the source of your fuel pump switch. Just throwing it out there. Its probably never been service and has been sitting for awhile.
                      used more than one VAF to eliminate that senario...
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      Projects in the works:

Comment

just for giggles.....where is the bolt head in the adjustment swing of the Disty?
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Did you test the fuel pump pressure ? Sounds like a fuel problem to me.
                          sigpic
                          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

towards the top.... never messed with that timing when I did that, so it should still be where it was when the PO had the car.... it ran fine when I got it, no idling problems at all...
                            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                            Projects in the works:

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                              Did you test the fuel pump pressure ? Sounds like a fuel problem to me.
                              as for testing the pressure, I don't have a gauge but I have manually overriden the Fuel Pump to make sure it was good... it was working when I took my jumper off as well... I cycled the switch a few times after it died...
                              Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                              Projects in the works:

Comment

Working...
                              X