squeal under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeal under acceleration

i just bought a 91 ford festiva 5 speed it has 141,000 on it.it has a annoying belt squeal only during acceleration i replaced the alternator and belt... still squeals ive read about fan belt squeel under the timing cover?? and im unfamilar with this car and how it is any ideas on what to try next?
    thanks, Jesse
    im in cleveland area if any other members are local and want to make some money helping me out my number is 216-870-4196

subscribed

Comment

How tight is the alternator belt? Try tightening it. They can be a pita sometimes
      :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

First off, try taking the ALT belt OFF completely and doing a quick run down the street. Start with the engine cold and don't run it more than a couple mins to avoid overheating (ALT belt also turns the water pump, so with the belt off the car will heat up quick). If the noise is gone with the belt off, then its probably either the belt or the alt bearing locking up. If the noise still there, read on!

Is it squealing right after you shift? Or if you leave it in one gear, without pressing the clutch, does it go away when you let off the gas and come back when you hit the gas again? If its right before/after/during shifting, then possible pilot bearing or throwout bearing. Could also the the timing belt (there is no fan belt on these, the fan is electric) under the timing cover, or the timing belt idler pulley. I'm assuming you mean Cleveland OH, in which case there should be a few folks nearby who can help ya out! If by some change you're in Cleveland GA, I could swing by and look at it this weekend lol.
        Last edited by htchbck; 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

the alternator belt is tight for sure. it squeals from anywhere above a idle i dont have a rpm gauge but it seems to stop for a breif second at higher revs before i shift but mostly constant. i am going to replace the timing belt and water pump hopefully tonight and ill post up later after the endeavor. thanks for the info so far.

Comment

I'd recommend trying what htchbck said - run it without the belt at all, if it still squeels you can rule that out - just be sure not to overheat it!
            1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Comment

so i had my step dad look at it and when i changed the alternator i didnt have enough tension on the belt, i thought it was tight. thanks for the help

Comment

In case you bought a cheap belt, you'll probably have to re-tighten it after a few weeks, and then again after another month or so. Eventually, it'll stop stretching. More expensive belts don't give such problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse002100 View Post
                  i just bought a 91 ford festiva 5 speed it has 141,000 on it.it has a annoying belt squeal only during acceleration i replaced the alternator and belt... still squeals ive read about fan belt squeel under the timing cover?? and im unfamilar with this car and how it is any ideas on what to try next?
                  thanks, Jesse
                  im in cleveland area if any other members are local and want to make some money helping me out my number is 216-870-4196
                  Cleveland area....really....where at? I am in Thompson but not far from Cleveland...as is the owner of the site.
                  Add your location to your profile when you get a chance. Welcome aboard, glad you got it fixed.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Don't overtighten it, belts are cheaper than alternators or water pumps. I like about a 1/4" play up and down{ 1/2" total]. It's possible to tighten it so it has no play at all but your pump and alt bearings probably won't last long.

Comment

Working...
                    X