removal of heat shield / '88 LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removal of heat shield / '88 LX

Howdy - I seem to be having the common problem of heat shield "rattle".
    I see Ford even had a TSB about it back in the day. Where is it and how difficult is it to remove? Should I remove it? Wisdom on the site seems to side on the "removal is not a problem" side. Thanks!

I believe there are three short 6mm bolts that must be removed. I managed to do it, but you need a lot of penetrating fluid and tapping with a hammer, before attempting to ratchet. Good luck.

Comment

easy to remove while it is hot..
      "i am the difference":cheers:

Comment

The catalytic converter heat sheild? The converter is an after burner which burns off unspend frule in the exhaust. It gets hot. The heat sheild is to keep you car from setting fire to grass or anything else which may come in contact with the converter.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

exh mani heat shield
          91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

I would cut some of it off with tin snips until the part left over is snug and no rattles w/o undoing any fasteners. Laziness pays.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

My rattle is the exhaust pipe heat shield after the converter. It got smashed up against the pipe by a PO, I tack welded it at the drain hole, but it broke loose.
              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. As it turns out, the rattle is the least of my issues. Once it's up on the rack, you really get a good look at the health of your car!

Comment

Working...
                X