Car turns over but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car turns over but won't start

Car turns over but won't start charge light blinked and blinked for several hours and then died on me while driving no lights no horn nothing hooked jumper cables to it got some power but still won't start just turns still no horn and gauges dont work
    Last edited by care44; 07-29-2011, 06:53 PM.

Check the fusible links on the drivers strut tower.

Comment

Either the fuseable links, or it sounds like your alternator just killed out to me, azone and advance can check it for you for free.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

checked all that does any one no where the computer is on the festiva

Comment

Originally posted by care44 View Post
          So, you removed the alt and had it tested, or verified with the car running that it was returning proper charge to the battery? Also, you pulled the links, verified that they were not broken (if using stock links) or blown (if using cartidges), and also cleaned the blades to ensure good conduction?

When I changed the links in my 90 from wires to cartridges, the car for whatever reason, did not like the first set of cartridges I put in. The charge light came on, then just started blinking. Pulled them back out, cleaned the blades with an nail file (the wife was thrilled about that, let me tell you) reinstalled the cartridges, and was good to go after that.

P.S. While the charge light was blinking, the car was very hard to start. Long crank, and sluggish when it eventually fired.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by care44 View Post
            Of course, I don't know what you have already done, but the computer is normally the last thing you should suspect. In all the problems I have read about on this site the number that were traced to a bad computer has been minuscule.

I would rather guess that your alternator failed and put out too high a voltage which may have damaged relays, etc. But don't immediately jump to that conclusion. Get a good used alternator and with that installed follow a normal troubleshooting process which starts with the most likely suspects before getting to the computer.
            John Gunn
            Coronado, CA

Improving anything
            Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

One time: I bought a new battery, then a new alt, then a new engine harness, and it still didn't fix the discharging problem. Got stranded on the side of the road, a really old guy gave me a jump start, he saw all the new parts and then asked if I had tried a new belt.
              I laughed and thought he was crazzzy.

Guess what, I bought a new belt  problem went away and the charging light quit flickering.

I think I spent $300 bucks on that issue, just to learn it was a little $6 dollar belt.
              (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by Occhty View Post
                I think I spent $300 bucks on that issue, just to learn it was a little $6 dollar belt.
                Substitute "a $10 set of spark plugs" for "a little $6 dollar belt" and you have my experience in a nut shell.
                John Gunn
                Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

how 'bout the tried and true method of testing your alt?

install alt, make sure belt is tight enough (if belt condition is in question, replace it), fire up engine.

take a reading of the voltage at the battery with JUST the engine running at idle. now take another reading with it at about 2000 rpm. next turn on everything (i mean radio, all lights, blower motor on high, wipers on low, a/c and defrost if you have it), take a reading at the battery, then again with the rpms at 2000.

IF the voltage drops below 13.4v at ANY time durring the testing, replace the alt, otherwise, that's not the issue.

NOTE: do the testing with a known GOOD battery.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys the fingernail file worked after changing out the alt and the 5 fuses it blew

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out, I've had more than one alternator go bad, one was my fault for not knowing what a capacitor is when your pushing 1200W to subs, but if you turn your key over, and you get NOTHING AT ALL, theres 2 options, either a bad ground which rarely happens, or your alternator died and your battery was drained in the process. A simple way to check the alternator is to start the car and turn on whatever you want..more the merrier, then unhook your - battery cable and watch for a change in idle.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                      X