ignition timing marks on 89 FI 1.3 auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition timing marks on 89 FI 1.3 auto

hay guys, i'm tring to optimise my fuel milage and i want to set my iginition timeing on "Little red" It uses a vacuum advance distribution and i had replace the distributor a while back (old one was bad), so i just set the new one in the middle of the e-longated holes, but i know its not probibly in the right spot, i looked online and it showes a yellow mark on the pulley for use with the timing gun, my pulley has two parts, looks like an ac unit could have been run off the outer (nothing currently run off it) and the inner is the alt belt and such, there are no marks on either to indicate the timing, is there some why to make your own marks or something?
    Thanks

OK, found the very faint marks, on the main pulley (the one in use) one colorless mark and another right after that shows signs of once being maybe yellow LOL whats a good timing setting for fuel economy? 10 TDC?

Comment

A very slight ignition advance is good for both power and fuel economy. An extreme advance is good for power, but requires premium gas.
      1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
      Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
      daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
      A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

OK, some weirdness, my timing mark , when hit with the timing light, is super far back, like the scale is about 4-5 inches away from where the timing light is illuminating the yellow mark, is it possible i put the alternator in 180 degrees out? Would the car even run if i did that? Any thoughts?

Comment

I'm no expert, but typically on a vacuum advanced distributor you'll need to disconnect the vacuum lines from the distributor, plug them, then check timing.

At least that's the way I've always done it. Although not yet on a Festy.

Also, timing an engine using the marks will give you a good general timing.

I usually set the timing, test drive, advance a touch, test drive, etc. until I get just a hint of pre-ignition (ping or spark knock) then back off a tad till no pre-ignition is detected.

I'm sure there are other methods, but this has worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Comment

oh, i didn't know you dis-connect the distributor vacuum lines and plug em, can anyone confirm this and i'll try tomorrow?

Comment

i tried disconecting the vacuum lines , the line is still way back below the water pump, 4 inches away from the scale

Comment

Working...
              X