Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now summer, but cold weather's coming.. :p (Acetone smelling exhaust and stalling is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now summer, but cold weather's coming.. :p (Acetone smelling exhaust and stalling is

Hey guys.. posted this before way back when and still haven't found a fix as of yet.

To mention, Farmstiva runs beautifully during warm weather (about 83 degrees F (4C) or higher, but starts to have issues when it gets colder or when it rains and is cool.

First sign will be loss of power, and then the Check Engine light comes on. Take my foot off the gas pedal for about half a second and then back on and I'm going again with the light off.. for anywhere between 5 seconds to a couple of minutes, the warmer it is the longer it takes to come back.

If it gets really cold, (in the 0F/-17C range) and colder.. it gets difficult to drive for long distances. The power loss gets pretty bad, and the exhaust starts to take on an acetone type smell.

Finally, at its worst, I can barely ever start the car, when I do get it going its stuttering and stinking like acetone and will maybe run for a minute or less before it stalls.

I've bought a winter beater already for this year in case I can't get this fixed again and want to avoid another tow home for Farmstiva (about $200 each time).

Any idea what can be made worse with colder and wetter enviornment? Coil? One of the air intakes? Something else?

Thanks guys, would love to figure this one out..
    Carz:
    '09 Ford F-150
    '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
    '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
    225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
    ...and definitely more soon..

Move to Oklahoma, its supposed to be 113 F today.

Oil weight maybe? Do you always buy your fuel at the same place? Maybe its water in the fuel.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
      Move to Oklahoma, its supposed to be 113 F today.

Oil weight maybe? Do you always buy your fuel at the same place? Maybe its water in the fuel.
      Sorry Larry.. didn't see this post until I did a review of my old posts..

Oil weight I run in Farmstiva is 5w30. I might switch between my local brand and Quaker State etc from time to time, but the weight stays the same.

Water in the fuel? Maybe, will try some fuel conditioner and see if that helps.. it's the whole colder weather thing that's really throwing me off though..
      Carz:
      '09 Ford F-150
      '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
      '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
      225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
      ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Working...
      X