Something's not right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something's not right

I have an 88 LX, carb'd, 5 Speed. When I'm going down the road around 55-60 I start feeling a hesitation. It's been doing it for the past couple of weeks and seems to be getting worse. Once it warms up it starts doing it at pretty much any speed. My gas mileage has fallen to about 34 MPG from around 40-42. I put plugs, dist cap, rotor and wires on it a couple of months ago. I can sit in the driveway and rev it to about 2500 rpm and it will be fine for a second, but then the rpms will start bouncing around some while it sounds like its hesitating. The only other thing I've noticed that seems different is that the temp gauge doesn't seem to be coming up as far as it used to. It stays closer to the cold side, which is weird b/c its normally around 100 degrees here everyday. Any ideas?

check your coil, it's likely breaking down.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have a carb coil for 10$ plus shipping if thats your problem! pm me if you want it
      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

skim, not for nothing, but he's better off with a new Accel coil. figure we're talking about a 23 y/o part that's seen loads of miles, and the factory units weren't known for being the strongest.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I've been wondering about the coil. I was also thinking about the fuel pump, but it is clean and not leaking anywhere. I think I'll give the coil a try. This is my DD and I love it, so I will figure this out, ha. It's got 178,000 miles on it and still has the original clutch in it!

Comment

Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
            1960 willys pickup
            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
            1989 festiva
            1990 festiva for parts
            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Man, I was hoping you were closer than that to me.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
                Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
                It's probably time to do it again. I'll probably do that first! Won't hurt anything, its just a pain to get to it, ha

Comment

a pain to get to? my fuel filter change take like minutes. just pop the hoses off and replace

Comment

Yea, maybe I just have big hands. I remember from the last time trying to figure out the best way to get my hands on it, ha.

Comment

lol gl

Comment

That's strange Greg uses his stock Festiva coil on his 220 wheel BPT and swears by it.

I'm just saying....Greg knows his stuff I'd listen to him, and maybe if he didn't want to spend $40 bucks on a new coil, a perfectly good working coil that skim has for sale for $10 is worth it....
                        -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

x2^^

Comment

Had the same problem with my '88 lx when I first got it. This might not solve
                            everything, but try a can of Seafoam. 1/3 in the fuel tank, 1/3 in the oil & 1/3 in the pvc inlet (dribble it in while car is idling, then rev it up to 2000-2500 rpm.) It will smoke like crazy for a minute or two. It reaaally made a difference. That was 5 month ago. Haven't had so much as a hiccup. This may not solve your issue, but it might help.

Comment

Thanks! I think I'm going to do the coil and fuel filter first and see what happens. Then on to Seafoam!

Comment

Working...
                              X