No odometer or speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No odometer or speedometer

OK everyone so here is my issue. I can start the car and my gas gauge goes up but my speedometer does nothing, same thing with the odometer. I can take the speedometer cable off from the transmission and turn it by hand and it will show up on my speedometer. Once i screw it back on the transmission and do any driving nothing shows up. What could be my problem???

sounds to me like your speedo cable is loose behind the guage cluster and when you screw it down tight to the trans its pulling away from the cluster.

Comment

its weird because it clips onto the gauge cluster and I've verified it several times and hasn't moved. could it be the gear that the speedometer screws onto on the transmission that's bad?

Comment

gear in the trans could be stripped, the cable could be in 2 pieces, the cable could be short (doubt this), the roll pin in the trans gear assembly could have snapped, the trans gear assembly might not even be fully seated in the trans to catch the diff gear.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What really gets me is i drove it one day with the speedometer working, let it sit for a day, and then drove it the next day and the speedometer was not working then. What is the part called that goes in the transmission that the speedometer cable connects to?
          Last edited by yesterhaven; 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM. Reason: didnt finish post

Comment

that's the gear assembly. from the sound of it the cable snapped.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Remove the 10mm bolt and pull the gear assembly out of the trans (it's also where you fill it) and see if the plastic gear is stripped.

Comment

once i remove the bolt the gear should come out pretty easy right? i had to replace my passenger side cv axle and then had to fill the transmission back up and the gear was a major pain to take out then and the few other times ive tried removing since then.

Comment

So it turns out that my speedometer gear is bad and i need a new one but no one in my area has any (dealerships or junkyards). Does anyone on here have one i could buy??

Comment

Working...
                  X