Tach cluster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach cluster question

I'm stumped... Put a tach cluster in my 90L. Tach works fine but the speedo does not. Needle is jumpy all the time. Seems like the gear and cable are good cause the non tach cluster speedo works fine. Makes one think the tach cluster speedo is faulty..but when I hook the tach cluster speedo to the cable and a cordless drill on a bench top it works fine. One thing I did notice is that the tach cluster is about an inch thicker than the non tach cluster...makes me think that's causing the cable to be to long by an inch and possibly binding inside. Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tex

did you move the speedometer cable from inside the bracket to the right side of the bracket when you swaped? i noticed on mine it was binding up if i tried to leave it center and if you bend it to far a certain way it will have a kink and be a little jumpy
    03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
    92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
    92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

Thanks for the reply...and,yes. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Comment

if the non tach cluster speedometer wasnt doing it and the tach is, i would go with something in the gauges being the problem, in which, the non tach speedo does fit perfectly into the tach cluster, i did it on mine due to the tach clusters speedo being broke off in the back...
        03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
        92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
        92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

Put a ittle grease into the back of the speedo, where the cable goes in. That should stop the needle from vibrating.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Agree with Tom - the bushings in the speedo head dry out and that fits the whole scenario. I'd go with light oil + graphite powder vs. grease, to keep things moving smoothly in the winter, altho I guess that's not as much a problem in Chapel Hill.

If both speedos did the same thing I'd suspect that the cable needed graphite.

Comment

I used heat roller grease and it worked great.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

If you want to keep the mileage from the old cluster id just swap them out, its only a couple screws.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                  If you want to keep the mileage from the old cluster id just swap them out, its only a couple screws.
                  Yeah but no tripmeter in the non-tach-cluster speedo.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Yeah but no tripmeter in the non-tach-cluster speedo.
                    I know that feel bro. I want a tach cluster badly because
                    A. I obviously want a tach
                    B. want a trip odometre BADLY, and
                    C. pretty sure my gas gauge is broken in my current cluster

Only problem is I'm in canada and they didn't have them here, so I'd have to get one overseas or from the U.S. and they'll be in MPH not KPH. I'm really locked up on this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X