Running HOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running HOT

My festiva is running hot in the afternoons its a stock festy motor, it never over heats but the gauge get just under the top of the line. Idk if its just that its 115 degrees outside or if there is a problem any ideas? Ive checked the fluids and everything is good the antifreeze is about 2 years old I know it needs to be changed but.... I also smell gas fumes when it gets hot but I dont see any leaking.

Partially blocked cooling system (rad, thermostat,...)? Worn water pump or belt? Misleading temperature guage? Does the fan come on? What do the radiator hoses feel like when it's running hot?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Is the cooling fan coming on? Maybe its just the gauge,you cant always trust them. Also in that heat you will sometimes smell the tank venting.Which is normal.
      Last edited by nitrofarm; 08-03-2011, 08:44 AM.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I doubt it's just the gauge in his case, since it only overheats in the afternoon. My first guess is the fan isn't coming on, and he is doing city driving which heats up the motor more than just being on the hwy. Might also have a clogged rad to boot.

Tommy, as an emergency measure you can turn on the heat, and vent the hot air out thru the defrost so you won't get so roasted. Windows open of course.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Im doing all highway driving and the fan is coming on, maybe the partially blocked cooling system Idk when I rebuilt the motor about 2 years ago I made sure that all that was in good working order but that doesnt mean that there isnt something blocking it I will clean the radiator this weekend inside and out. It was only about 105 degrees on my way home today so the gauge didnt read as high and I didnt think to check the hoses but I will tomorrow I think its suppose to be back up around 113 degrees. Thank you guys I will let you know what I find.

Comment

Working...
          X