noisy resonator? / '88 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy resonator? / '88 Festiva

Any problems with removing the resonator and replacing with straight pipe?
    I think it's basically just a pre muffler. Correct?

Nope, its the catalytic converter. If you have emissions testing, or vehicle inspection, your gonna need it. You probably have a rattling heat shield. Pretty common from my experiences.
    Last edited by Larry Hampton; 08-02-2011, 11:50 PM.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Yes, it's a pre-muffler, but it really helps. The cat is at the downpipe. The resonator is halfway up the exhaust.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

The catalytic converter is an after burner which removes unburnt hydrocarbons from the exhaust. It's hot. The heat shield keeps it from setting fire to grass and anything else which might come in contact.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Understood. I knew the cat was the emissions componant, but didn't realize
          the res was also I the realm of emissions (thought it was just noise suppression). It looks like someone tried to secure the heat shield on the res with wire coat hangers. How hot does this thing get?

Comment

the cat can see upward of 1200*, the resonator might only get to 400ish. they are 2 seperate pieces of the exhaust. Cat comes first right after the down pipe, then about 2 ft later there can be a resonator (i recomend having one) then the bends around the fuel tank and over the rear axle and then the muffler.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by seattlestiva View Post
              Understood. I knew the cat was the emissions componant, but didn't realize the res was also in the realm of emissions (thought it was just noise suppression).
              You were correct, the resonator is just noise suppression. Don't replace it with straight pipe. If it's got a hole in it, replace with another resonator. They're cheap, and they do make a difference.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
              X