disc brakes grabbing at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disc brakes grabbing at speed

During a test drive when the car got up to 80 kph (50 mph) the new front disc brakes came on by themselves. I eased off on the accelrator and tried again, 5 times in total. Three times the brakes engaged, two times not. There is about 50-60 miles on the new brakes (calipers, pads, rotors). Is there a standard fix for this problem? Thanks.

If it's not something I can fix it I'll take it back to the dealerhsip on Monday. The mecahnic there took the pads off and put them back on modifying the retainer (return) springs I had on backwards. I guess he didn't test drive at speed. As metnioned in another thread, thanks to the mechanic the wheels are no longer heating up.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

what do you mean by came on......
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I'd be willing to bet, if he was ASE certified, he probably said the brakes retaining clip was on backwards, wether they were or not, and now he managed to not install them properly.

When I changed my front brakes the first time, I didn't have a haynes manual, andi forgot to put the passenger side clip back on.

I found it laying in the driveway later..thought it was cool, and threw it away before I realised what it really was.

20+k miles later im still stopping with the same brakes, and its not causing any noticable drag, but I'm sure its not recommended.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
        The mecahnic there took the pads off and put them back on modifying the retainer (return) springs I had on backwards.
        Return Spring?? umm i think what your thinking about is almost like a wire that goes through some pins? that "wire" simple stops those pins from sliding out and those pins hold your brake pads from falling out of the calipers, there is no return spring on the calipers

I'm having a hard time understanding how brakes can come on by themselves when they want to, the only time i've seen brakes stick on is by a seizing caliper or a callapsed (sp?) flex lines

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          During a test drive when the car got up to 80 kph (50 mph) the new front disc brakes came on by themselves. I eased off on the accelrator and tried again, 5 times in total. Three times the brakes engaged, two times not. There is about 50-60 miles on the new brakes (calipers, pads, rotors). Is there a standard fix for this problem? Thanks.

If it's not something I can fix it I'll take it back to the dealerhsip on Monday. The mecahnic there took the pads off and put them back on modifying the retainer (return) springs I had on backwards. I guess he didn't test drive at speed. As metnioned in another thread, thanks to the mechanic the wheels are no longer heating up.
          did you change the master cylinder during this swap? Sounds like the cylinder is not returning to full released position. You may need to shorten the adjustable pushrod in the booster.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Clarification: As the car was accelerating it started to slow down as if I had stepped on the brake. Went out this afternoon to try again but the car would not do it. I was able to reproduce the effect by applying the brake with left foot while right foot was on gas pedal. I drove around tapping on the brake pedal a few times to see if the pads just needed to self adjust or something. I don't know exactly what the mechanic did. I just have what is typed on the work order (complaint, diagnosis, work done). Says he reinstalled pads. Logic points to last thing done to brakes as the cause of new behaviour. Whatever he did stopped the wheels from heating up. Problem seems to have gone away. Thanks for the comments.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
            X