Hatch latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch latch

OK so today the hatch latch will not activate and open, i have removed the lock push pull rod [the lock is rusted] i have PB blasted the latch mechanisim, removed the bolts holding the latch thinking it should slide out, nope, oh ya the latch is still hooked the bottom locking mech and i can't get to those bolts. Any thoughts. Thanks
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

O/a torch (if you can use one without damaging anything else. Maybe a body saw would be a better bet..
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Time for a new hatch?

Thats the best I can do... Our latches are really finickey.
      1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
      Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
      daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
      A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

I think a non-rusted latch is all he needs. Slide the arm that you see in the photo with a screwdriver from the inside. It should release.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Have you removed the cardboard door card from the hatch to better access? Do what BrakeKozak said, that should unlock it, then if you can push down on the part that the top rod is connected to (in his pic) it should release the hatch whether or not the lock or handle are rusted/damaged. If the latch itself is indeed rusted solid (never seen that on a daily, but on a couple of cars in yard that were sitting up for a long time) then you may have to try to get a small box wrench in there and take the latch plate loose. Not a lot of room, so patience patience patience is the key to it. I had to do that to my silver car when I bought it. No rust, but the car had been backed into something and bent the bottom so badly that lock was jammed tight and would not function. Took about a half hour to finally get it.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

festivawes, i'm going to try the sugestions that the other members have given, but next will be the saws all.

Basement_Modder, this a good rust and dent free hatch, thats the reason for being carefull while removing.

bravekozak,
            i'll give that a try and if it works i'll post a pic of the rust ball.

hatchbck,
            yup the card is off for easy access, time to try again. I'll report back later.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Well life got in the way and took longer than it should have, so i got out the sawzall and made short work of it, now the hatch opens when i want it to, and you guys thought i was kidding about the rust.

Comment

Working...
              X