93GL: Attempting to relocate horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93GL: Attempting to relocate horn

After two hours on my back trying to install a new horn (two-wire version I picked up, so I need to get the ground wire, lock washer, and nut onto the horn stud) with limited maneouvering room, I decided to relocate the horn to inside the engine compartment on this and every member of my fleet as their horns next fail, which for me is every year or two in Seattle's liquid atmosphere.

I found the GL horn in the front lower right. (On some Festies (88LX?), I think I've found it in front lower left.)

Anyway, I'm puzzling with how to get the horn wire back up into the engine compartment without cutting it. I don't want to pull on the wire, else the connector may come off.

I've removed the air box assembly and the right front parking light, and can't really figure out how the wire is routed.

I was thinking of removing the right front fender (ten 10mm bolts, as I recall) for better access.

QUESTION: Does anybody know the best procedure (what parts must I remove) to gain access to GENTLY feed the wire with attached push-on connector up into the engine compartment?
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

If you need to wire it to a two wire horn anyways, why not just twist and solder the wires together once you get them into the engine compartment?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I just happen to have picked up a new horn with two connectors due to not paying attention. The second connector is for the ground (the horn case is not grounded), and the horn kit included a short wire with appropriate connectors (push-on for the horn, ring to go on the moiunting stud).

Once I have the horn in the engine compartment, dealing with the ground wire with ring connector will not be a problem since I'll have ready access to it. That little cavity where the horns is originally located is a royal pain (and exposes the horn to road splash).

There's just one horn wire going down to the original location; that's what I want to pull back up into the engine compartment without damaging it.
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

yeah they are a pita to install, my arm was all cut up from the bumper putting that new horn up in the stock spot, also one socket to long the other to short. i changed my rear spindle rear passenger side & brakes in the same time it took me to do the horn!
        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

What was Kia thinking when they put the horn down there? Were they trying to get it far from the occupants b/c of the noise level?
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Horn is easy. There are 8 bolts and two screws to remove the bumper assembly, which you will have to do to access the horn without killing yourself. Four are on the radiator support, two on either side. Two are in the fender wells, one on either side. Two are in the bumper cover at the bumper cover support, one on either side. The two screws require you to pull the fenders. If you don't have them, no fender pull. Yeah, this is still easier than trying to mess with the wires, which go down behind the headlights, close to the turn signal wiring. If you have horns with a negative wire, buy two ring connectors (that look like washers with connectors on them), and connect them to the negative wires, and when you mount the horns make sure you put them in between the horn and mounting bracket when you tighten things down.

EDIT: Horn location was designed to amplify the horn. Try it with some from a truck, and wow!
            Last edited by DriverOne; 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Why not use a new wire long enougt to reach the new mounting spot, and connect it to the org. wire. Use a connector ; is it the blade type? Then elec. tape and /or heat srink; the crap out of the connectors/splice.
              Last edited by navdoc101; 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM.
              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

NavDoc101 -- Great idea, except that I've already pushed the end of the wire back up into a crevice where the space connector has jammed, and it's not visible from inside the engine compartment.

Attached is a photo of where I've mounted the new horn, including its ground wire to the stud, right behind the right shock strut mounting point, using a bracket with existing threaded hole that was already there (remnant of pre-FI hardware?) and using the same bolt that was used in the original bumper location.

Now I just need to extricate the "hot" wire to make it play.

Future horn replacements will now take 5 minutes!
                Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM.
                88L black, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Try to grab it and pull it back down and follow navdoc's advice. Use a male blade terminal to hook to the factory wire.

Comment

There's a second horn wire behind the driver's side headlight. It's already inside the engine compartment. You could pull that over and mount the horn between the radiator and grille.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I was able to pull the original horn wire back into the engine compartment. I didn't lie on my back. I worked on it from above. Oh, I may have reached under with one hand while the other pulled from above. Can't remember details, just that it's doable. Don't recall it being too difficult. Good luck with it. I installed the new horn into an unused bolt hole in the fender. I cut a circle of plastic to go behind it to insulate it electrically from the body.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Neanderpaul -- I get this message when clicking on your link:

"You do not have permission to access this page."
                          88L black, dailydriver
                          4 88/89 disassembled
                          91L green
                          91GL aqua pwrsteer
                          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                            Neanderpaul -- I get this message when clicking on your link:

"You do not have permission to access this page."
                            Get access to the Arena. Its a thread about you.
                            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                              Its a thread about you.
                              Yep
                              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                              X