Belt SCREAMING at me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt SCREAMING at me...

So last week my car started squeeling like crazy, It had done this once before and It turned out to be the water pump... So I bought a new one and replaced it. Being dumb and not realizing that it was just the belt. Replaced it, put some belt dressing on it and the squeel was gone. The next morning however... it was back but only for a minute.

The belt has okay tension, not too tight. I'm thinking the alternator might be locking up for a second or two... any thoughts?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

After working on my car the belt was chirping when first starting the engine but it went away and after 2-3 days of that it has been quiet since. I doubt the alternator is locking up. Maybe belt temperature, humidity, flexibility, or a neighbour's cat.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

make sure you have enough tension...should be about 1/2 inch or so of play up and down. If the belt was run squealing for to long you may need to replace the belt...check for glazing....belt dressing is only a temporary fix.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I found my belt was screaming because the cam cover was interfering with the rotation of the water pump.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

i agree so far. if the alternator was locking up i would THINK that the battery idiot light on the dash would flash while the belt is squeeling (during the theory of the alt. locking up). just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by anomoly40 View Post
            I found my belt was screaming because the cam cover was interfering with the rotation of the water pump.
            I run mine without the plastic cover on it, so this probly isnt the problem...

Comment

Squealing when starting up.

I think you will find that it is the battery. Replace with a different brand. I have had this problem ever since I put an Autozone battery in my '90 Festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
                I think you will find that it is the battery. Replace with a different brand. I have had this problem ever since I put an Autozone battery in my '90 Festiva.

Buahahahaha! its probably just a old belt. Replace the belt and make sure it has proper tension. Done deal!
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Well...... The belt tore apart today near home. AWESOME!

It was a BRAND new belt... at first I thought it was the water pump so I swapped a new one in. The belt was still screaming so I put a new belt on, helped for a day, then started up again.

I'm thinking its the alternator... I replaced it and I'm wondering if the pulley isnt far enough out that the belt is straight... HELP please guys

Comment

Sounds like you have the wrong belt. Take the belt off if it isn't already and spin the alt. Listen for anything uncommon, does it spins freely (which usually means the bearing is shot) it shouldn't spin and spin and spin. Do the same check on the water pump pulley and let us know what u find. Also make sure you have the right belt.
                    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                      Sounds like you have the wrong belt. Take the belt off if it isn't already and spin the alt. Listen for anything uncommon, does it spins freely (which usually means the bearing is shot) it shouldn't spin and spin and spin. Do the same check on the water pump pulley and let us know what u find. Also make sure you have the right belt.
                      The water pump pulley spins, but not much. The alt. pulley will spin around at least a full circle if I spin it with my fingers. Both seem fine... I will check if it was the right belt, but seemed just fine.

Comment

Okay had the alternator under warranty so I had it replaced... Started up perfect, but after about a minute... THE screaming came back. I'm absolutely out of ideas. Brand new alternator, belt, and whater pump. Could it be the bottom pulley for the crank?

Comment

Yes. Mine was glazed over. Some sandpaper can rough it up good. Its easier if you take it off.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Just tried that, didnt help... used 400 but kept the pulley on

Comment

My dad and neighbor think the belt is sitting too far inside the crank pulley, kind of locking it in and burning the belt up... my dads belt off his a/c Festiva is wider and seems to fit better. Mine has a/c but I am running it without that, it didn't come with the longer crank pulley. So what should i do? I bought a wider belt but now it won't go around the pulleys, I was gonna try a little longer belt...

Comment

Working...
                              X