Drum Brake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Brake Question

Just serviced the rear axle on the wifes 90 LX. Installed new shoes,inner and outer bearings,and spindle seals. Problem is,found it rather difficult to slide the drums back on over the shoes. Ratcheted auto adjuster is all the way "in",cable brake "elbow" is moving free. I can force the drum to turn,but no free spinning even without the stake nut installed. Also had the drums turned. Who can tell me what I'm omitting that's keeping the drums from free spinning?
    Thanks,
    Tex

the emergency break linkage moves freely but may not be travelling completely....had that happen once. How does it feel with everything together and the wheel on it?
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Test drive heated up the hubs pretty good in about 15 miles...shoes clearly seem to be dragging to me. Stumped !

Comment

definitely not totally retracting. Need to take it apart and recheck it....unless you have the bearings too tight.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
        X