Outer Joint Disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Joint Disassembly

A couple of folks on here said that my '93 FSM's claim that the outer joint can't be disassembled is a croc. I've cocked mine as far as it will go and can't see any snap ring like the outers have. Hep.

Haynes manual says it doesn't come apart but someone on here said he hit it with a hammer and it came apart. I dont' recall him saying how he got it back togehter again. Be nice if someone with a discadred axle could try it. Haynes manual says to replace the outer boot take the inner end apart and remove the balancer, ie. do it from the inner end. You can repack the CV outer bearings by just undoing the boot straps and sliding the boot up ther axle. I've done that. Don't even need to take the axle off the car.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

georgeb, perhaps your is "a turd".
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Oh No! I guess I should probably put this back together before the FSM sees it LOL :mrgreen:

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

^OMG YES! Zanzer, please don't let the factory manual see that sort of thing done. That would be against manufacturer's recommendations.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Zanzer!

Stop doing what can't be done!

You'll only learn something and teacher others that just because a manual says it can't be done, it isn't necessarily so!

And probably encourage others to question the status quo and get creative!

We can't have that!
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Cleaned up like that, it almost look like a piece of art!
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                  OMG YES! Zanzer, please don't let the factory manual see that sort of thing done. That would be against manufacturer's recommendations.

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    Zanzer!

Stop doing what can't be done!

You'll only learn something and teacher others that just because a manual says it can't be done, it isn't necessarily so!

And probably encourage others to question the status quo and get creative!

We can't have that!

Cleaned up like that, it almost look like a piece of art!

Hehehe, there I go being a free thinker again. Will I never learn!? LOL :mrgreen:

The axle came with a G series and shaft I bought about a week ago. It was pretty nasty since one of the boots was off of it when it arrived. I noticed it looked almost new after cleaning it up so after seeing how nice it is I'm thinking of purchasing 2 new boots and rebuilding it for a spare since it's the right side for a Capri. May come in handy for me or Will one day

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

Nice pics and humor, but I still don't know how you got it apart. A VW/Porsche joint cocks far enough for the balls to fall out but these don't.

Comment

As you can see in the pic there is a spring clip ring similar to the splined inner portion that goes into the diff. The best way is to use a vise bolted down of course, and a large brass punch. The bigger the better and hit the center part as close to the shaft portion as possible. It usually take a good amount of force. One you overcome the spring ring it will be able to rotate far enough to start removing the balls the the cage. Be very carefull not to damage the center star portion.
                        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

So you beat on the cage? Does the inner race slide over the snap ring while the snap ring stays in the groove?

Comment

All I used was a piece of pipe and Newton's 1st law of motion

I use a piece of pipe who's ID is slightly larger than the axle's OD and longer than the axle. I slide the pipe over the axle and seat the inner cage flat against the end of the pipe. I then stab it down hard against the top of my heavy steel welding table. The force and inertia compresses the circlip and the axle pops out of the inner race. Then you can rotate the cage and remove the bearings. It usually takes me longer to locate the pipe than it does to disassemble the axle and it's typically prefaced by "now where did I put that darn thing...I hope I didn't use it to fabricate something" :mrgreen:

WWZD
                            Zulu Ministries

Comment

That's the answer I was looking for. I didn't know that the ring compresses. Tanx

Comment

Working...
                              X