All Aspire Owners, Read This.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Aspire Owners, Read This.

Since I bought my '94 Aspire a year ago, I have been disappointed with the way the engine ran.

Though there was no missing, the idle was not at all smooth. It seemed that each injector was putting out a different amount of fuel for each cylinder and the result was very uneven.

I poured a lot of Seafoam and other injector cleaners into my tank in that year. Changed the plugs which helped a little, but the performance of the engine compared to that of my '90 Festiva was poor. In addition, the mileage varied from 36 to 38 MPG which was a big disappointment since I was getting 42 MPG with my Festiva as I drove it to the salvage yard a year ago.

A couple of weeks ago at AutoZone I stood looking at the chemical section, reading small print, when I noticed a spray can labeled, "Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner" made by CRC. I knew that my Aspire had one of those instead of the VAF meter that my Festiva used, so I picked it up and read.
    • Saftely Cleans & Protects Mass Air Flow Sensors
    • Plastic Safe & Leaves No Residue
    • Improves Air/Fuel Ratio and Increases MPG

It was that last phrase promising to increase MPG that compelled me to head to the checkout register with can in hand.

Last Thursday, I finally took the time to remove my MAF sensor and clean it. When I looked at the grid of tiny wires inside I noticed that they appeared to be coated with a dull brown substance. As I began to spray I noticed that the brown coating began to dissolve leaving clean, shinny, bare-metal wires. I thought at the time that it looked like the cleaning should improve something, but I had no idea of the extent.

That only became clear when I started my car to drive home. At the first stop to make a U-turn I thought my engine had died and was about to turn the key to restart it, when I realized that there were no error lights on. The engine was running, but so smoothly, evenly and quietly that I could hardly hear it.

Later that day, I was driving on the Interstate and looked down at the speedometer to see that I was driving at a speed 15 miles faster than I had expected. The engine was at 65 MPH as quiet as it had been at idle before the cleaning.

Since then, though I have not had to buy gas, I can see an amazing improvement in mileage just from looking at the odometer and the gas gauge. When I fill up I'll add the results of that to this thread.

I had no idea that any of this was possible. The VAF meter in my Festiva required no attention. So I assumed I could ignore my MAF meter in the same way I had the VAF meter. I have created this thread to alert all Aspire owners that they do so at their peril.

I looked through the Maintenance Schedule that came with my Aspire when it was new. There was no mention of cleaning the MAF sensor anywhere.

I can't end this thread without mentioning something about my Aspire that may, at least in part, explain why its response to this cleaning was so dramatic.

My Aspire showed signs of having been severely neglected before it fell into my hands. In particular, the air cleaner was dirtier than any air cleaner I have ever seen. There is a picture of it in one of my old posts here.

There is a lesson in that as well. I had thought that when a filter became full, the only result was a restricted flow through the filter. Now I realize that, in addition to the restricted flow, the air pressure from the engine pulling air in increases and that extra force pulls particles, that are stopped at normal pressure when the filter is not clogged, through the filter finding their way through the "clogged" filter. At least, that is how I explain how my MAF sensor wires could have gotten so coated with dirt.

If any of you decide to try this on your Aspires, please report in this thread how your experience compares with mine. I think we all would find that interesting.
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

MAF sensors work by heating a wire and measuring the resistance across it.

Like when you blow into a toaster, the wires cool off, change color and have more resistance. The computer reads the resistance as air flow. With that coat of burnt particles on your wires, it won't cool as well and the computer can't control understand how much air is coming into the engine and how much gas to allow into each cylinder.

By cleaning it, you're getting better readings! That's awesome to hear how much it improved your experience.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

After the seafoam treatment last week, my aspire is running better than ever! I'll try this Tuesday and see what happens tho! Maybe there's some more mpgs in it for me?!
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

be warned! cleaning the MAF wires can cause poor readings as well... the dirt that builds up on the hot wire can eat away at it and when the dirt is removed, the wire typicaly looses some mass causing a change in the readings.

i'm not saying don't clean it, but i AM saying that it may not solve your issues either... (may create new ones).
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

OoOoOooo. I just know never to touch them. I need to clean the MAF sensor and get new spark plugs for my Grand Marquis.
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
            Since then, though I have not had to buy gas, I can see an amazing improvement in mileage just from looking at the odometer and the gas gauge. When I fill up I'll add the results of that to this thread.
            Here are the mileage numbers from my last two fill-ups, one before and one after cleaning the MAF sensor.

08-Aug-2011; 82,719.1 miles; 7.420 gals.
            17-Aug-2011; 83,020.0 miles; Cleaned MAF sensor.
            17-Aug-2011; 83,042.0 miles; 8.009 gals.; 40.3 MPG.
            25-Aug-2011; 83.360.5 miles; 7.378 gals.; 43.2 MPG.

During these two test periods the use of the car was pretty much the same, since most of my driving was determined by a procedure which I designed to clean the interior of the engine.

Each day I would drive three miles to the Interstate and drive about 34 miles, non-stop, ending up with a three mile drive back to my apartment. My speed on the Interstate was between 55 and 60 MPH and the two trips, to and from the Interstate, included a total of about 5 or 6 stops.

So, the 43.2 number is a good deal less than the car would get if the mileage had all been non-stop on the Interstate from one gas station to the next. Each of my shorter daily uses of the car included at least one or two gas guzzling warm-up periods.

The result was a 7.1% improvement, which saved me $1.92 at that last fill-up. In short order the $7.00 and 30 minutes will pay for themselves and start to put a couple of bucks into my pocket every couple of weeks.

It amazes me that no one bothered to try this and report back their results. Another one of things that in my mind just doesn't compute.
            John Gunn
            Coronado, CA

Improving anything
            Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Hmm can't remember if I cleaned mine when I had it out. I'm sure I did but ought to clean it's and the Escape's when it gets cooler.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I once bought a 90 CRX with 43K miles. Terrible gas mileage, 25 IIRC. Pulled the air filter; it looked a lot worse than yours! Musta bin the original one, no kidding. Just for kicks I vacuumed it out and reinstalled it. Mileage went up to 35. Replaced it with a new one, got another 5 MPG.

Gonna check my Aspire MAF this weekend, altho it runs great. I just replaced the original cat at 150K miles; the old one had rusted thru near the front flange.
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-02-2011, 10:14 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I did try this, however due to other variables i cant give an accurate report on any benefits, my car is running quite a bit better now than it used to, wether its my true CAI, seafoam, or cleaning the maf...or a combo of all 3, i cant tell for certain. I believe im running a bit rich but im not sure whaT i need to do about that yet.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                  X