Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with steering, cv axle, help me diagnose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with steering, cv axle, help me diagnose.

Okay so I know the drivers side cv axle is really bad, but can that cause my steering to shudder constantly going down the road, and when I brake, and cause my car to to be pulled back and forth at higher speeds?

Also it feels like when I turn to one way it turns alot faster, and when i turn the other way its not as abrupt. You know if I just wiggle my steering a inch in either direction, almost feels like it toe's in harder on one side.

I know my Tie rod ends arn't the best either. I have new parts for both buy im nervouse about pulling out the axle to replace it, is it hard? I know I have to take off the wheel, how does the axle end in the tranny come out, and do I have to put anything (like a broom stick) in the tranny hole while im switching them? Also the other end is just held to the hub by the axle nut right?

Logan

Nothing about this car is hard. The axle nut usually more than 100 ft-lbs, so use a half in breaker and do it with the wheel on the ground and someone holding the brake. Getting it out of the tranny is somewhat of a trick, you need to pry outward on the inner joint, there's a clip inside that will compress and let it come out out. Its easier demonstrated than explained. Always leave one side in, never pull both axles out at the same time.
    Usually a bad shaft will cause a vibration, but not a steering shudder, check the tire balance and rotor run-out.
    97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
    92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
    95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

rotors and brakes are almost brand new, so I don't think it would be warped they were the expensive ones:-( And I had the car balanced not to long around and it ran so smooth and quite... Then the CV got louder around corners, and now it does this off and on. Once in a while I will be almost home and all the shudder goes away. I do smell my brakes when I get home and I was thinking maybe the vibration is so bad its causing the pads to slap the rotor when I go down the road

Do you think the bad tie rod ends would cause the pulling back and forth at higher speeds?

Comment

Jack up the car and grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to tip it in and out. It should be a solid feel. If it's not, you may have a bad wheel bearing. Make sure any play isn't coming from the lower control arm bushing or ball joint.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

well, shortly before I replaced both axles my Festiva would shudder quite a bit at times. Usually it would happen when I'd start down a slope and let off on the gas a bit. So, yeah, I'd say it's possible that they're your problem if they're pretty near shot (if they've gotten to that point I'm not sure I'd drive it a lot at high speeds until it's fixed).

As far as replacing them, no, it's not really that hard. Pretty much jack up the car, take off the axle nut, take off the clamps that hold on the control bar and pry 'em out. Although, taking off the axle nut can often be easier said than done. Much depends on how it was staked when it was put on.

Although, if you just had your front brakes done it shouldn't be all that difficult to get it loose. It shouldn't be corroded or rusted or anything.

Comment

I don't have to drain the tranny fluid first?

Comment

If you don't, it'll dranin once you pull the axle

Comment

Do one side at a time. Don't remove both axles at the same time.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Why cant you do both at the same time? I did this b4 not knowing. It worked OK. Did I just get lucky? What might have happened?
                  '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                  '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                  '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                  '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                  '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

If you remove both axles, the spider gears? can drop down in the transmission. Before you take the second axle out, put a hunk of broomstick or 3/4" PVC into the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdjeffd
                      If you remove both axles, the spider gears? can drop down in the transmission. Before you take the second axle out, put a hunk of broomstick or 3/4" PVC into the hole.
                      this is a myth!!!!

i have never had that happen to me when replacing CV axles or even the transaxle or the clutch(and this was done on jack stands in my back yard)

you would have to turn the trans on its side to do that

Comment

not a myth!! I have 1 like that right now.. I slipped when moving it and dropped it on the floor from about 6" and that was it.. pass side dropped.. didn't bother to try to fish it out.

Comment

that is not something that would occur while IN the car, RIGHT?

Comment

^^ true, never had it happen while just changing cvs. I've only heard of this happening while in transport or during swaps..

Comment

now i wouldn't suggest juggling with the trans and both CV axles :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X