lost my lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost my lights

I have a 92 Festiva and lost my parking lights and now lost the headlights. Cant find a fuse for them. Any ideas everyone???

take a look at the fusible links , under the hood on the drivers strut tower, three wires. Make cure they are not broken or corroded. There are fuses inside too I believe. In the fuse box in the dash. The center fusible link will keep the car from starting but your lights will still work. So it is one of the outer ones that may be bad. You can replace then with long legged cartridge fuses. 30-40-30
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

You're looking at the fusible links probably. from the front of the car, you'll be looking on the right hand side near the firewall. Little box with three wires sticking in loops above it (or cartridge fuses in place of the wire loops). Look for the letters MAIN. Chances are you lost your fusible link(s). My guess, centre and left one. I normally run cartridge fuses, FTF-30s on the outside, FTF-40 on MAIN. It's more than the originals, but it seems to prevent blow outs from me mucking around with wiring...

(edit: Yah, what he said. ^x2 )
      Last edited by darrenryall; 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM. Reason: Agreeing with GenevaDirt)
      Carz:
      '09 Ford F-150
      '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
      '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
      225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
      ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

According to the wiring sticky for a '92, the headlights don't have a fuse in the fuse box. The only components besides the wiring is the battery, one of the side fusable links, the headlight relay, the headlight switch, and the headlights. One of the stickies shows a fuse for the marker lights, (the taillight fuse) and the other doesn't.

Comment

^^ correct, the headlights are on their own fusible link marked "HEAD"
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I will try that and get back to you.

Comment

Cool, and I'd suggest replacing the fusible link with a cartridge fuse personally. Think I still have my original fusible links in a box, but my car certainly seems to run smoother with cartridge fuses in there..

Again, two FTF-30's and an FTF-40 for the centre works nicely.
              Carz:
              '09 Ford F-150
              '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
              '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
              225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
              ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

My 93 Festy has issues with the headlights after sitting for some time and not having used the headlights. It is the headlight relay that has been opened by the PO and has corrosion on the contact points. The fix is usually just slapping the relay a couple of times, but as of late the magnetic coil must be getting weak because even if the lights are on, hitting a large bump will sometimes kill the headlights. Time to pickup another relay at the boneyard.

Bill

Comment

Wellall, Changed the fusable link, now my headlights work but no parkingtail lights. No power at either side of the fuse slot. Relay clicks when you turn them on. Tried three other relays, still no luck. Any ideas???

Comment

No headlights

Hi All,
                    Brand new to Festy's. So Far I love it~ (maybe as much as my 91 Geo Metro, 5 speed, 38k original miles). Washed the motor, all was good, yesterday, no head light, searched the threads, replaced the fusible links with long leg cartridges, pink 30, green 40, pink30. Still no Headlights, blinkers, side markers all work.
                    Could it be that the bulbs are burned out, or a switch in the turnsignal?
                    Help a Noob, please~
                    IrishFiesta
                    Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by kboomisme View Post
                      Wellall, Changed the fusable link, now my headlights work but no parkingtail lights. No power at either side of the fuse slot. Relay clicks when you turn them on. Tried three other relays, still no luck. Any ideas???
                      Not good! Not that hard either. The back side of the fuse box is probably
                      okay but something to keep in mind. Sounds like the next step IF that is the
                      only other power problem is to test the headlight switch. You have to pull
                      the plastic off the bottom of the steering column. Make sure all those
                      links have bright shiny new connections as well, they are trouble. They
                      might even rival British cars for electrical problem fame !
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by kboomisme View Post
                        Wellall, Changed the fusable link, now my headlights work but no parking/tail lights. No power at either side of the fuse slot. Relay clicks when you turn them on. Tried three other relays, still no luck. Any ideas???
                        Did you check power to the fuse slot with the ignition key on or off? And which fuse slot did you check? The hazard fuse and the stop fuse are hot at all times, but the meter fuse for turn signals/running lights is hot only in run or start. And are the fuses actually good or not, did you check that?
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Turn signals need the key, running lights do not. Brake lights do not need the key either but they are all separate under dash fuses. The relay is not for tail lights. The tail fuse
                          will not have power unless the light switch is in a position other than off. If your
                          head light switch, part of the multi switch is not providing power to the fuse it might
                          be bad, testing the connector will tell. The contacts and plug are all in the lower
                          plastic cover around the steering column. None of these circuits are inside the handle.
                          The steering wheel has to come off to remove the switch.

If the key is needed to operate running/tail lights somebody
                          has done some wiring repair!!
                          Last edited by Movin; 02-10-2012, 01:23 AM.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                          X