What Part Have I Likely Damaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Part Have I Likely Damaged?

Last night, half-asleep, I realized at the last minute that I was taking the wrong exit off the Interstate and quickly veered to the left to get back to the Interstate. In the dark it appeared that there was nothing to prevent my doing that, but there must have been a low curb which I hit at about 50 MPH.

Of course, it make a terrific bang and I thought I had pretty well destroyed my '94 Aspire. Not knowing what to do, I just kept driving hoping my mind would return to me soon. When it did I realized that the car was running pretty well. The right tire, that felt the brunt of the impact, still appeared to have air and there was no pulling or vibration.

I took the next exit from the Interstate to find a place where I could park and assess the damage. I hit the curb with the right wheel while turning slightly to the left. There was a pretty sever bend in the outside rim of the right front wheel, but the tire was not damaged and it did not appear to be loosing any air at all.

Today, as I tried unsuccessfully to restore the rim with a 1 lb. rubber mallet (too light), I noticed that the outside of that tire had a narrow band around the outside edge of the tread where the tire was scuffing. The other tire showed no such scuffing. I don't know that this scuffing is associated with the accident, but I do know I had never noticed it before. But then, I never really looked at the tires very well since seeing that they were new when I bought the car.

My questions are:
    1. From the angle of the impact, could this scuffing be a result of the impact?
    2. If so, would this be something that could be adjusted out, or most likely be a bent part that would have to be replaced?
    3. In that case what part would that most likely be?
    4. Is replacement an easy or difficult job?
    5. Am I correct in assuming that a problem with uneven tire wear on only one tire is an indication of a bent part rather than an adjustment problem?
    6. Could this narrow band of wear on the outside edge of the tire be caused by a poorly balanced tire?

I was relieved when I saw that the CV boots were not torn in the collision.

I've had no experience repairing steering and suspension parts, so any information, no matter how basic, will be helpful to me.
    Last edited by JohnGunn; 08-27-2011, 03:41 PM.
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Bent tie-rod or other suspension component or even the attachement point on the car.
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

I'd jack up the car and compare the right side components with the left side to see if there are any noticable differences. While it's up there try the usual tests described in the Haynes manual. The initial impact would have been absorbed by the torsion bar and control arm. The axle, steering, an struts are not fixed, so they would move to absorb the shock. I had the ball joint separate and pull the axle out of the transmission. Stuck teh axle back in, replaced the ball joint (control arm) and it's been fine. This week I parked a bit tool close to the curb and scuffed the tire. Cosmetic. No big deal.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Might have bent torsion bar on that side. Measure from center of hub to bumper (or something more permanent). Make sure wheels are straight first. Also, is steering wheel in same position as before accident when going straight?

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig View Post
          Bent tie-rod or other suspension component or even the attachement point on the car.
          Thanks, Kraig. Since you mentioned tie-rod first, I'll give that my special attention when under the car looking for anomalies.

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          I'd jack up the car and compare the right side components with the left side to see if there are any noticable differences. While it's up there try the usual tests described in the Haynes manual. The initial impact would have been absorbed by the torsion bar and control arm. The axle, steering, an struts are not fixed, so they would move to absorb the shock. I had the ball joint separate and pull the axle out of the transmission. Stuck teh axle back in, replaced the ball joint (control arm) and it's been fine. This week I parked a bit tool close to the curb and scuffed the tire. Cosmetic. No big deal.
          Thanks for your helpful input, WmWatt. It helps to be reminded of a general principle I try to hold to: "There is no substitute for using all my senses in a slow, meticulous examination of puzzling condition."

At this point, since I know so little about steering and suspension, your suggestion inspires me to crawl under my car with a good light and spend some time getting to know that part of my Aspire. As I write this I already sense a power from the idea alone. Thanks.

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
          Might have bent torsion bar on that side. Measure from center of hub to bumper (or something more permanent). Make sure wheels are straight first. Also, is steering wheel in same position as before accident when going straight?
          Thanks for your help, georgeb. I must say that, aside from the scuff marks I mentioned, the car feels and behaves exactly as it did before the accident. It holds the road straight on its own when running on level ground, and the steering wheel is centered as it was before.

Still, the impact was so traumatic to me, I can't help but believe it must have left some discernible damage over and above the bent rim.

Though I hate the thought of doing it, if I am to move on from this, I must force myself to get under there and actively search for the hidden consequences of my reckless behavior. Only then can they be correctly addressed and my mind allowed to continue its healing.
          John Gunn
          Coronado, CA

Improving anything

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
            Thanks, Kraig. Since you mentioned tie-rod first, I'll give that my special attention when under the car looking for anomalies.
            I wont be there.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by anomoly40 View Post
              I wont be there.
              Sorry, I don't know what you mean. If you're happy with that, so am I. But, if you are trying to be helpful, you need to try harder.
              John Gunn
              Coronado, CA

Improving anything

Comment

[Set-up]You'll be looking for anomolies...

[Punchline] I wont be there...

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by anomoly40 View Post
                  [Set-up]You'll be looking for anomolies...

[Punchline] I wont be there...
                  Of course, how dense of me. Sorry. Sure sign of an insecure person: Looking for insult where none is intended.

I've been know to do that, as you well know.

John Gunn
                  Coronado, CA

Improving anything

Comment

Working...
                  X