Electrical Weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Weirdness

Hey All - Some strangeness this morning - Headlights and dash lights dim on and off with turn signals and and stereo will intermittantly cut out. Car started up ok. Battery is probably about 4 years old. Anything definitive?

Originally posted by seattlestiva View Post
    Hey All - Some strangeness this morning - Headlights and dash lights dim on and off with turn signals and and stereo will intermittantly cut out. Car started up ok. Battery is probably about 4 years old. Anything definitive?
    Battery connections tight?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

My car had the same symptoms & the alternator was bad. Check all connections & use a test meter on the battery terminals with the engine running. You should see about 14 volts if the alternaor is good.
      Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
      Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

If you don't have a volt meter you can take the alternator in to some auto parts stores and get it tested for free. OTOH a volt meter is a handy thing to have around the house and auto. Keep an eye on the flyers. They go on sale here for about $10.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X