Wiper stops/adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper stops/adjustment

The wipers on my new 90L don't stop where I'd like them to. They bottom where they should but at the end of the sweep there's room for at least another inch. Is there any adjustment on the stop? Haynes is silent on this issue, so I suppose the answer is no, but thought I'd post the question anyway.

You might be able to loosen the nuts on them and rotate them down more. But then they will sit very crooked when they are down. Or, on the driver side at least, you can get a wiper from a 90-94 323. It will lay down almost completely flat. I'll get a pic for ya if I can remember to when it stops raining. I don't know if the passenger side will do the same or not, as the car I got the DS one from was missing the PS one already lol.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

What you can do is remove the nut the adjust the wiper them selves. Or you can remove the wiper motor and just them that way. But adjusting the motor is a pain in the arse.
      93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
      98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
      98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

I know I can take the arms off and move them higher - then they'll sweep to where I want but will stop high. Since I haven't had this problem before I have to think there's an adjustment somewhere, and (unless the joints in the mechanism are sloppy, which they aren't) the only place for any adjustment is in the motor. I've now taken the wiper motor off my parts car - if I unscrew the plate on the motor, is there anything inside that gives a chance of increasing the sweep? Is anything spring-loaded under that plate?

Whether Haynes or any other manual, whatever I want to know is typically the only thing that's not mentioned in the manual.

Comment

Did you ever find anything out about your problem? I need to adjust my drivers side wiper it goes to far. I bought shop manuals off ebay and they really don't tell me much . They just say to take the wipers off and put the wipers one inch from the bottom.

Comment

My driver's side wiper doesn't sweep far enough but it parks in the right spot.

I found the problem to be the sheet metal that the pivot for the arm is pinching.

There's a piece that goes in, up from inside the cowl at the bottom of the windshield. you can reach it when the wiper motor and it's plate are out.

I had to sandwich some flat aluminum stock with the right size holes drilled in it on top and bottom of the sheared/rusty metal. It keeps the pivot from dropping into the cowl but it still slides around when the wipers are going.

I need to secure the aluminum to whatever's left of the metal that once held the pivot with a screw or nut and bolt.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thanks, Zack, I'll take a look for that on the parts car. But, if your situation is because of something rusted thru, that isn't an issue with mine.

Comment

Working...
              X