Stuck axle my eye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck axle my eye.

I was in Tom's shoes. With a stuck axle in a man trans festiva. 5 hours or so of wedging, chiseling, prying, pulling, two at a time. ETC ETC :angry1: This morning I solved it. I wanted a slide hammer. Advance has them but not the c part Jay mentioned. I found the tool online but couldn't get it in time. Deadline was tomorrow morning. So I made this....

One cable on each side for even pressure. I made sure to pull perfectly straight. I had already tried unsuccessfully at a slight angle when something was in my way. So I moved said thing and pulled straight. I had about 4 feet of slack in the cable too for a long stroke. I also put the "big tuning fork" that I had been using to pry between the cross member and the trans to support the trans and prevent the motor and trans mounts from absorbing the shock and stealing the force I was exerting. I yanked and on the 4th or 5th pull she popped out. Mine was stuck so fiercely because it is brand new. Last week new axle, same day new seal leak. Today I got it out, replaced the seal and it's back on.
    Last edited by neanderpaul; 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM.
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

And this is the real tool you want. I'm glad mine worked but I'd like to have this. It should make life a lot easier. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/OTC...t-Puller-2TVR1
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Congrats on beating the axle. I lost the fight to one.
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

I did not believe it, but I followed the directions another member posted. A slide hammer is unecessary.

All you do is put a small prybar or large screwdriver and apply gentle pressure while tapping the belll with a small hammer on the opposite side. It worked perfectly. The transaxles just pop out effortlessly. You should get them to pop out in less than a minute each. Beating it can cause all kinds of damage.

Push one axle back in and try it.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 09-05-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I had tried that too.

Comment

It's a feel thing. Just enough pressure and gentle quick taps.
            I liken it almost to removing the electrical terminals from the connectors with the extractor tool. Its almost 100% feel.

Comment

Working...
            X