Good spark, Good fuel, no run...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good spark, Good fuel, no run...

Wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on my 1992 Festiva. It acted like it ran out of gas but it had plenty in it. It starts for a few seconds and then dies. We checked fuel pressure and we have more than plenty. Fuel filter was clear. We also pulled the fuel injector rail and it was all clear.
    We then moved to spark. All the plugs were fine and we noticed they were completely DRY when we pulled them. We have good spark and the coil checked out as well.
    When we pulled the fuel line after trying to start it for a while, it blew fuel everywhere meaning that it was building pressure, but for some reason the injectors weren't opening.
    I have a hard time believing that all 4 injectors went out at once.
    What about the EDU????
    Help!

Thanks!

Spray a tiny squirt of starting fluid into the throttle body to eliminate spark as the prob.

Comment

Are you positive the fuel feed and return lines are hooked up to the fuel rail right? I put em on backwards one time and.. we'll it cost me 70$ more than it should have because I'm an idiot..
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Have you checked for a leak in the vaf piping? It doesn't take much of a crack to cause it not to run. Mine slipped about 3mm off the throttle body and shutdown. It would start then die immediately.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

yups check the piping on the intake one small opening will allow the car to sputter then die in a few seconds. check you VAF meter too if that has failed.

Comment

I had this happen to me when I was reassembling the car once... I'd forgotten to plug in the VAF but it would turn over, sputter and then shut off the fuel pump.

Disconnect and check the connections to your VAF for corrosion.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T TAKE OUT THE SCREWS THOUGH! Use a small screwdriver to move the spring clip out of the way to unlock the harness and then you can see the pins inside.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Timing belt ???????
              New build on the way .

Comment

If your getting spark and fuel to the rail the next logical thing would be to check for injector pulse with a noid light.
                Sounds like they aren't getting a signal to put out fuel.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

To go along with shadetree, are you sure your timing belt hasn't jumped a tooth?
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                  88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                  88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                  06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Is the intake tube connected? Is the air flow meter plugged in? Both these will allow it to run for a few seconds then die.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

10X What crazyrog17 and mattswabb have said regarding VAF.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                      X