Stuck strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck strut

I need some help removing one of my struts. The first one came out easy but this one ive tried everything. Ive tried a socket wrench an air wrech an impact wrench im pretty sure the strut is destroyed but i still want to retreive the bushes and spring.

Whats happening is the nut is spinning the whole shock absorber ive sprayed it with oil and tried clamping the shock but it's too stuck.

Im out of ideas?

Nick.
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Sorry i should mention it's off my 98 parts aspire car and it's the rear strut.

Nick.

Comment

if you can try clamping a set of vice grips on the shaft. that should hold it. dont know what the access is on aspire struts tho.
      Rod

"Confidence is the most important thing you can teach someone... if you can teach them confidence, you don't have to teach them anything else."

1992 truckiva
      1989 festiva lx (mine again)
      1980 triumph tr7 convertible (project)
      1976 tr7 hardtop (parts car)
      1989 dodge caravan turbo
      1975 amc gremlin 4x4 (play toy)

Comment

Ok im going to have to buy a set first, i tried pliers but it was just scratching the hell out of the shaft.

I might just have to cut the shaft with a sawzall.

Comment

back in the day , for shocks (strut may be to thick, we would take a socket and an extension and then just pry back and forth....snapping the shock top....nut and all would come off. You are changing it out anyway.

Short of that just take a hacksaw and cut the nut on one side , right up against the strut threads.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks guys,

yeah i wanted to keep the strut but it's way too stuck to come off in one piece im afraid

Comment

Try cutting just the nut with an angle grinder cutting disk. just don't get too close to the strut rod. I have done that before and was able to then turn the nut off by hitting the cut portion with a chisel and a hammer. or you could cut both sides effectively cutting the nut in half.
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I've never done this procedure on an Aspire but is it possible to cut a screwdriver slot in the top of the stud to hold it? If that doesn't work then cutting the nut near the stud and tapping it in the loosening direction has worked for me.

Comment

Go to the McParts Place and buy a nut buster. You will have plenty of chances to use it!!
                  Last edited by hotfordcat; 09-08-2011, 12:57 PM.
                  Chuck
                  Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                  If money will fix it, it's not broken
                  91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                  93 GL - Lil Red
                  91 L - Tweetystiva
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

X2 on both Aaron's and HotFordCat's suggestions. Either should get you results without destroying the strut, just the nut, which are just a little cheaper and easier to replace
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

SUCCESS!

Thank you for all the suggestions,

I ended up cutting about a third of the nut off then that relieved the pressure from the strut and the rest of the nut just came off with a socket wrench. The threads are a little messy but that should be ok to fix with my tap and die set.

Nick.

Comment

depending on how bad the rod is scored (and how far up/down) it's possible it's no good anyway. It will destroy the seal
                        Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
                        X