Sunroof issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof issues

Well, really just singular. And what could the issue be? It leaks, of course. I never had any interest in owning a Festiva with a sunroof, but my new '90L came with one (who would order a stick L with a sunroof and air, anyway??). It appears to be factory - there's a bright rose-colored surround band in the interior, if that says anything, and it didn't seem to leak during the first few rains, but now it develops that if I park with the left nose down, enough water pools in the roof that it leaks there.

What I can see of the seal looks very good, but the leak is at the leading edge where the hinges are, so the question is whether the sunroof panel can be removed completely by somehow flipping what appear to possibly (??) be release levers on the front two hinges, or if I need to unscrew them - I'd like to gently clean the gasket with soap & water to see if that will help. Of course I suppose I can figure this out by playing around a bit, but I thought there's a chance that someone else has one with a factory sunroof.

Also, any suggestions on what to do with the seal to help preserve it, and/or whether there's any source for new gaskets, since in the probably unlikely event that they are available somewhere, a spare gasket would be good for peace of mind.

Clean the seal real good and apply a thin layer of clear silicone. Let it dry before closing the sunroof.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Thanks for the silicone tip!

After poking around a bit I found this site:

that gave me hope, based on appearance, that I have an SFC sunroof, but I couldn't find any markings on the handle last night. But this morning I see SFC on the glass, and measurements indicate that it's a 1733, so both glass and gasket are available as Newport 1732. This is enormously reassuring, if the silicone treatment doesn't work!

Assuming that my Festiva came with this when new (as running the VIN number apparently shows) I guess it makes sense that Ford/Kia/Mazda didn't make them themselves - with the probable volume it just wouldn't make sense for them to do it themselves when something was available that worked. I've seen a few carbureted Festivas with fabric sunroofs, but in 22yrs of continuous Festiva ownership this is the first FI Festiva I remember seeing in person with a glass SR.

Comment

I always thought the sunroof was a dealer option.
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by Pgh5spd View Post
          Thanks for the silicone tip!

After poking around a bit I found this site:

that gave me hope, based on appearance, that I have an SFC sunroof, but I couldn't find any markings on the handle last night. But this morning I see SFC on the glass, and measurements indicate that it's a 1733, so both glass and gasket are available as Newport 1732. This is enormously reassuring, if the silicone treatment doesn't work!

Assuming that my Festiva came with this when new (as running the VIN number apparently shows) I guess it makes sense that Ford/Kia/Mazda didn't make them themselves - with the probable volume it just wouldn't make sense for them to do it themselves when something was available that worked. I've seen a few carbureted Festivas with fabric sunroofs, but in 22yrs of continuous Festiva ownership this is the first FI Festiva I remember seeing in person with a glass SR.
          the sun roof was not a factory option....they were dealer installed
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have one in mine. I'd like to see if I can get a seal as well, because mine leaks when it rains.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Didn't the Dealer installed sun roofs say Ford on them by the lift handle.
              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

This one has a rectangular place on the lift handle where I'd expect it to say something - at least SFC - but it's blank.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                  Didn't the Dealer installed sun roofs say Ford on them by the lift handle.
                  it may be a Ford sun roof...I am sure a Ford dealer would want to put that one in.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                  X