Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal brace for console/consolette = bolted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal brace for console/consolette = bolted?

Like most any used car, my new '90L had a few surprises. Overall, it's beautiful, but in the rear there were no less than 14 holes of various sizes in the rear pan on either side of the spare well. Absolutely no idea what they had bolted down there, in place of the rear seat. (A couple in their late '60s seem to have owned it since '91, so perhaps one was handicapped and they hauled a wheelchair is the only thing I come up with.) Also, the little kick panel on the drivers side has two holes in it. A fire extinguisher mount?

But the real reason for the post is that they sawed off the surprisingly substantial metal piece that extends down from the dash that the box for loose stuff (under the radio/heater controls) attaches to. I have a full console from an '88 LX ready to install and so I probably don't really need that piece, but for the sake of completeness and since I have a '92 L+ parts car, I'd like to reinstall it. If I remove the dash in the '92, will I find that this piece is eventually bolted to the structural members under the dash, or is it welded in place? If welded there's no point in removing the dash(es) and I can either weld the piece to the stub remaining in the '90, or just ignore the whole issue.

It is not welded. And you DO need it to properly install a console
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thanks! Looks like I will learn how to remove a dash.

Comment

PS. Is it possible to unbolt the whole thing without pulling the dash? It's not that easy to see things when looking from behind, upside-down.

Comment

You do not have to remove the entire dash just to take out the console support.

Comment

Thanks, glad to know I can get it out without pulling the dash! I've been too busy to go to the parts car to pull it, tho.

But one thing further to this - the '88's and 89's don't have this brace. I can't imagine this has anything to do with EFI - was this something added to stiffen the cab for crash test purposes?

Comment

Not for crash purpose, but for better re-inforcement and to help counter body twisting cracking the console.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I need some of those console supports for my festy if anyone has some.
                thanks

Comment

Hoo-ray! I extracted the one from the parts car without having to pull the dash. Two nuts/bolts at the L dash corner, remove the hood release, and four nuts under the steering column, behind the column shroud. Even then it doesn't exactly drop out, but still way better than pulling the whole dash. Thanx, Kozak!

Comment

Working...
                  X