No announcement yet.

Replace Vacuum Advance Carbed 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh and if its a large hill, live with the reality that you need to downshift to 4th. Thats why you have all those different gears.

Comment

The funny thing about my car is occasionally it will pull up the hill without dropping more than 3 or 4 mph, but most days it wants to drop from 55-60 down to 35. (I usually downshift to 4th around 45 if it doesnt want to pull, sometimes it holds 45 in 4th sometimes it dont) I dont like my engine screaming at me doing 55 in 4th gear with 170k miles, just seems like a good way to break something. The tach i installed is trash and fails after my car runs for more than 10 minutes, so i dont know exactly how far im pushing the engine.

IF I get a chance I might try to competely reset the timing, it probably needs done anyway, ive just got too much other crap on my plate for now. I'd try just adjusting just the disty, but I remember doing that with my old F250 and it took a month of me trying to get it right + someone else comming over for 2 minutes to get it right again. (The bolt came loose and adjusted itself)

Sorry for stealing your thread OP. Was just looking for extra info.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

No, You didn't steal it. You are helpin me cause mine does the samr drop from 55-60 down to 45 you explained.

Comment

Oh and yah duh....dont forget to make sure your fuel filter isnt packed? My tank is contaminated with rust. A new filter only lasted a week.I'll be changing the tank soon. But just saying my Aspire wouldnt pull either.New filter fixed it right away. If you dump the filter and blow though it.You shouldnt feel much back pressure.You can do a comparo with a new one also.Good luck
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by Banana Bonanza View Post
            The Festy was kinda unique in that it had a computer carb and a vacuum/mechanical advance distributor. Most cars with computerized carburetors, the ignition advance was handled by the main ECM via the ignition module.
            Makes it easy you dont have to look for a different disty when tossing that stock carb
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The 1st series EFI on the Festivas used the dual-diaphragm vacuum advance cans. That was in 1989 only.

ECM controlled spark advance is said to improve efficiency and performance while reducing pollution.

I'm going to tinker with my dual diaphragms. I'll post anything interesting.
              '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Makes since, I noticed my engine has a yellow "89" on the air filter housing like it;s a junkyard engine. I did'nt see it til I changed the filter.

Comment

Working...
                X