Idle RPMs Super high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle RPMs Super high

So after my 88 festi warms up the idle goes to about 2800 rpm. What is the deal. I have to shut the car down at stop lights becouse it feels like it will blow the engine. Is this a carb problem ?

no man, probly just need to adjust your idle. there are two idle adjusment screws, one you can turn by hand on the left side of the carb if looking from the front to back, and the other is in the middle right side on the back, this one is with a screw. phillips. u can try turning those once the car is warmed up and see what results you get. lemme know! my need to rebulid your carb. its not too much of a hassle if your semi mechanically inclined.
    BeachStiva

Comment

Vac leaks.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ look there first before you touch ANYTHING...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^^ I second that... I found a vac. leak this morning
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

OK so with all the vac leak responce I gather thats super important. All the vac hoses are in place and good. OK, not becouse I new to do this only by luck.
            I sometimes can lift the gas pedel with my toe and it will slow to a respectable rpm. Leads me to believe it is linkage or cable sticking. I would love to see a picture of what the linkage is suposed to look like so I would see what is wrong, missing, or bent.

Comment

Take the air cleaner off and look at the linkage. Attempt to close the throttle by hand. If the idle slows, the linkage is binding and needs lubrication or replacement. Also, does anyone know what the second idle adjustment is for?

Comment

Lube the cable. Under the dash end can be sprayed with WD-40 by sticking the little hose inside the cable housing. Then a bit of oil or grease. Put a rag on the floor first to catch any lube that drips. The engine end can be lubed by opening the throttle and putting a bit of oil or grease on the cable without removing the air cleaner. Or remove the air cleaner and pray WD-40 inside the housing first for a better job. I just did mine. I work on old bicycles and do a lot of lubricating of gear and brake cables.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X