No announcement yet.

Tranny shudders in gear with clutch disengaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like clutch plate is dragging a bit. I would try adjusting it up a bit before pulling the trans.
    The manual doesn't account for worn parts or streched clutch cables.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
      Sounds like clutch plate is dragging a bit. I would try adjusting it up a bit before pulling the trans.
      The manual doesn't account for worn parts or streched clutch cables.
      Clutch adjsutmant is good.But thanks for the input. I'm 99 % sure its the stupid pilot bearing that I was to cheap and in a hurry to buy. Live and learn. I've had quite a few manual trannys. But I've never had to do anything to them cuz a treat em nice.So I'm getting schooled the hard way. C4's & C6's AOd's now them are are a different story for me.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I am trying to remember if I had a shudder when my pilot bearing went bad. It was noisy as all get out, and lost my input shaft over it as well.

I can't for the life of me remember if it chattered.

You know, I have never used one of those pullers? But how about replacing it? What if you seat it in a touch to deep? Duh, Paul, pull it out some. Seems I wouldn't know...
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
          I am trying to remember if I had a shudder when my pilot bearing went bad. It was noisy as all get out, and lost my input shaft over it as well.

I can't for the life of me remember if it chattered.

You know, I have never used one of those pullers? But how about replacing it? What if you seat it in a touch to deep? Duh, Paul, pull it out some. Seems I wouldn't know...
          Thanks for the response scitzz-
          You can really see and feel it in my shiffter. Mine isnt making much noise yet. Its more like a dull drone & the motor lugs down a little.So hopefully I didnt gall it up. Plus I've been keeping it in neutral as much as possible. So you can seat it too deep I gather? Glad you said something cuz I would have guessed you just bottom it out? If I pull the clutch assmbly. Can I just use a flat tip at an angle to get the bearing out? Thanks,nitrofarm

Comment

I used a screwdriver to get my bearing out. I was surprising easy to come out. But I've done some that were ridiculous to get out even with a puller so it's a possibly maybe kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JoDan View Post
              I used a screwdriver to get my bearing out. I was surprising easy to come out. But I've done some that were ridiculous to get out even with a puller so it's a possibly maybe kinda thing.
              Ok thanks for the input

Comment

Hey guys our piolot bearings are .590" id. I think this puller style looks like it will work fine. I'd rather get this style,than slider hammer style.
                (just preference) Anyone use this on yours? It says it can be used on bearings as small as .500", so it should work! Your thoughts plz-Nitrofarm

Comment

Working...
                X