Motor Mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mounts?

I have a bad rattle/vibe when I put the car into drive (auto trans). I think it's a motor mount or transmission mount, but I can't find the part online anywhere to save my life. Anyone have a part number or know where I can find one? Any help is appreciated, this rattling is driving me crazy!
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    1995 Mustang Cobra (Turbo)
    1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) white
    1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) teal

throw it in drive, mash the brake and give it a little gas. Have a friend take a look under the hood and inspect for any major movement of the engine and trans. When I yanked my engine out, the trans mount in the back fell apart like pulled pork. they are all decently easy to replace, id check on ebay or at a napa auto parts store.
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by jjk1224 View Post
      throw it in drive, mash the brake and give it a little gas. Have a friend take a look under the hood and inspect for any major movement of the engine and trans. When I yanked my engine out, the trans mount in the back fell apart like pulled pork. they are all decently easy to replace, id check on ebay or at a napa auto parts store.
      Sounds like the back mount is the most likely culprit. I checked eBay & searched eslewhere, but could only find trans mounts for the manual cars. No need to check for major movement, as the whole car shakes when in gear at idle. The tailpipe shakes like crazy when it's happening.
      2005 Cadillac CTS-V
      1995 Mustang Cobra (Turbo)
      1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) white
      1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) teal

Comment

How similar are the auto mounts compared to the manual? I have never seen the auto tranny mounts before but maybe they are interchangeable or could be easily modified?
        2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
        1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
        1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

They are similar, but not the same. The auto is about a 1/4" wider than the manual one. Some say they have made them work, but I didn't want to fool with it so I bought a newish one in good shape off a member here. I was told RockAuto had them, but I couldn't find it.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I found it a few minutes ago on rock auto. pm sent

crap...you said rear. sorry mate
            Last edited by walth; 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM.
            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

^^ any chance I could get one of those PMs as well?
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

lol it was for the front A/T mount. I messed up. but I can send you one if you still want me to? haha
                Walth

Comment

Actually I couldn't even find the front mount for the ATX. All I saw on there was two brands of MTX front mounts, and then a pass side mount for ATX and another one for the MTX.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

hey, second thought, just found a "transmission mount" instead of looking for motor mount since, technically it's not a motor mount. try that, I found that on auto zone
                    Walth

Comment

Still no dice... pulls up the rear MTX mount under "transmission mount" and the front and pass side MTX mount under "motor mount" but nothing for the ATX on AZ. Part #s 2653, 2654, and 2655 respectively. RockAuto doesn't even show a listing for "transmission mount" on the Festiva.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

well that sucks...AAP same way. no ATX rear mount. And it's not likely to go to the parts store and they be able to look up something you can't.
                        Walth

Comment

Does anybody have source for ATX mounts? I need all the mounts. I just bought an Arizona car, and here if it was made of rubber after 20 years it is done.
                          '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
                          '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
                          '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Originally posted by XFSE71 View Post
                            Does anybody have source for ATX mounts? I need all the mounts. I just bought an Arizona car, and here if it was made of rubber after 20 years it is done.
                            Found them @ AutoZone assuming the parts fit my '93 ATX, I pick the up tomorrow.

Is there a central location where we post part numbers? I know this probably not the right forum to ask.

Comment

The $18 motor mounts from AutoZone worked just fine on my '93 ATX with some minor modification. The front mount is "plug & play" (#2654), no problem there. The rear mount (#2653), I would call a trans mount, requires a little minor effort. The problem is that the ATX transmission case is 6mm wider than the MTX case at the rear mounting location. That means the MTX mount is too tight to slide into position as expected. Using a flat file, I dressed down the transmission case ~3mm. There is no problem here because there is plenty of material and it does not change anything other than allowing me to "persuade" the MTX mount to fit my ATX. I could have dressed the case down the entire 6mm, but my arms got tired laying on my back filing in the tight space. I would suggest that if the car is on a rack or transmission is on the bench or otherwise accessable then modify the case to 50mm width (from 56mm) to facilitate the MTX mount.
                              Don't neglect to cure the root cause of the mount failure. In my case the trans cooler line had hardened at the lower radiator connection and the spring clamp no longer sealed allowing tranny fluid to soak both mounts destroying them. Additionally the lower crossmember front isolaters had to be fabricated, also destroyed by ATF. As stated elsewhere the RH upper mount does not fail as easily and didn't need replacement. Being a purest, I want to keep my cars as close to factory stock an possible. So no dual overhead cam turbos for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X