where do I start..... efi wont run??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do I start..... efi wont run??

My buddy buys a 92 EFI and it was not running and the previous owner says he changed the plugs, fuel pump and the airbox, now it wont start....

so far I have had my buddy spray wd40 into the intake and he says it will run that way!!

so it has spark .

I am thinking he should check the emergency gas shut off switch in the rear and then the pump he put in may be bad??

what do you suggest??

I know if it wasn't 15 hours away from me I could have it going in a few hours but over the phone with a guy who is not into fixing stuff this is a tough one

I take it that it hasn't run since the PO's "tuneup". Since it has spark, I would listen for the pump running momentarily after turning the key to ON. If nothing, I would check the cutoff switch and whatever else runs the pump. If the pump runs but doesn't pump, make sure there is plenty of gas in the tank to submerge the pump.

Comment

the pump WILL NOT run with the key on, you have to be cranking to activate the pump.

bassman, you said he changed the air box!?! why? is there a gap in the intake hose, is the VAF harness connected? did you reset the fuel cutout switch (behind the left rear strut tower)?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If the airbox is not hooked up it will do what you are describing. Did you disconnect the hose from the airbox, spray, it fired and ran for a moment and then quit? If so that's because the airbox has to be hooked to the hose.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          the pump WILL NOT run with the key on, you have to be cranking to activate the pump.
          Yep, unless you jumper the fuel pump test connector. By the brake booster there are three plugs that don't plug into anything. One had one wire, one has two wires, and one has three. You want the one with two wires. Jumper that one with a paper clip or something, and then turn the key over to "run" but don't try to crank it. Should turn on the fuel pump if everything is hooked up right. Once I was helping a guy diagnose a no start on an older mazda after he had just replaced the fuel pump. He forgot to hook up the wires to the pump that are inside the tank. Fortunately we caught it before he went out and bought a new pump. But at least, if the pump runs with a jumper on the test connector you can rule out a dead pump being the problem.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I assume you connect the 2-wire connector to batt voltage.

Comment

Short the pins together with a paper clip or jumper wire. This will complete the circuit to make the pump run when the key is turned to 'run'.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Pull the air hose off the VAF. turn the key to the on position, push the flapper with your finger. The fuel pump will kick on that way. If it doesnt make sure its plugged in all the way. if still nothing it could be the fuel pump relay, maybe the EFI fuse, or inertia switch.
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                  Pull the air hose off the VAF. turn the key to the on position, push the flapper with your finger. The fuel pump will kick on that way. If it doesnt make sure its plugged in all the way. if still nothing it could be the fuel pump relay, maybe the EFI fuse, or inertia switch.
                  Thats a easy way to test it. Why didnt I think of that?
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

What about the fusable links? Isn't the left one the pump?

The other day I jumped my wife's minivan. I had a 30 cartridge in there with links on the sides. Cartridge poped, pulled the driver's link and put it in the middle, car started but the alternator light was on. Pulled the link and put it back and the car still ran. Took the van's battery to Wally World to swap it, went to buy cartridges in there....THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY!!! Pep Boys was down the street, so I tried the passenger link, car cranked but wouldn't start, figured it was the fuel pump. Got 30/40/30 at Pep Boys and laid the two links up in the corner.
                    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

any updates bass?
                      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Looks like sunday he will have it in the shop and we will do everything mentioned, thanks for the help , this car will run I am sure.

Comment

back from the dead thread here we go!!

OK , I talked to my friend with this festiva that has now made it into a shop so he/we can get it going.

now I am 12 hours away so I have to fix this with him over the phone...... (yelling cause he does not get what I am saying!!)

so far we established that everything is hooked up as far as wiring and airbox , new plugs and wires are correct, crash gas switch is NOT tripped and car will kinda run on wd40 or gas in the intake.

so it has spark ..

new fuelpump installed he says?????

how can we test to see if pump works?
                          is there a fuse or fusable link going to the pump??

thanks again guys , this is frustraiting for me being far away and trying to fix it over a phone .

Comment

good grief this is old...

I haven't looked at the fuel circuit in a long while. I think there are like 5-7 components to run correctly. I know there's the fuel pump relay (right above hood release), ignition, fuel cutoff in back, VAF, one of the main fuses/links, and..? anything else guys?
                            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

Working...
                              X