Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use an engine stand

Just picked up this engine stand from Harbor Freight Tools

but... i have no idea how to use it. Is it pretty straightforward?

I'll be mounting a BP motor. Can I put it on the stand with everything attached? (intake mani, exhaust mani, starter, etc.)

I believe you attach it to the holes that the transmission mounts to. This way you can easily work on everything and spin the engine if need be.

I managed to replace all the seals and gaskets (except head, intake, and exhaust) while the engine hung from a cherry picker.

Engine stands are to work on the engine and not install the engine.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

thats impressive. i bought a 1 ton chain hoist for moving the engine in and out which I will attach to a large beam in my garage.

Does anyone know the bolt size that goes into the block?

Comment

That is correct. The engine stand bolts to the back of the engine where the transmission would normally mount. I don't off hand know the size of the bolts needed but if anyone does please post. I will be mounting my B6T up to one of my stands as soon as I get done moving everything :lol:
        Paul
        91GL
        Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Bolt Size

The bellhousing bolts for our trannies are M12 x 1.5 thread, Good luck finding this type of bolt in a longer size. My engine stand needed bolts about 6" long I went to various different places in my city and no one could find them, I finally gave up and had my dad make me 4.
          1996 Aspire, 2DR 5SPD 185 60 14, Aluminum rims, Mild Stereo system, some neon tubes, 185 000 km not a speck of rust runs like a champ
          B8-ME Swap COMPLETED.

Comment

You can get a smaller SAE bolt and use washers and nuts.
            Bump for harbor freight, I was in there this week, the stands look a lot better than the one I got 15 years ago.
            97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
            92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
            95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

Re: Bolt Size

Originally posted by krustyguitar
              The bellhousing bolts for our trannies are M12 x 1.5 thread, Good luck finding this type of bolt in a longer size. My engine stand needed bolts about 6" long I went to various different places in my city and no one could find them, I finally gave up and had my dad make me 4.
              Darn, the head bolts for my Mitsubishi 2.6 are 12x1.25... would've had plenty of that size laying around. thanks for the numbers!

Comment

I bought the same type of stand at HF. I used the bolts and nuts too. Worked okay for me.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

engine stand

remember safety first... i was in mechanics school and a friend of mine took out the head bolts and turned the motor to remove oil pan and head came off and hit foot and he was on crutches for two weeks and it was a small block Chevy head that fell on his foot.

Comment

Re: engine stand

Originally posted by miami man
                    remember safety first... i was in mechanics school and a friend of mine took out the head bolts and turned the motor to remove oil pan and head came off and hit foot and he was on crutches for two weeks and it was a small block Chevy head that fell on his foot.
                    Ouch!

I did learn one thing about the engine stand last night. Attach the plate and bolts first then hoist the engine and attach the rest of the stand to the plate. Much easier than trying to position a heavy engine on an uneven hoist onto the plate.

Comment

Working...
                    X