steering noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering noise

when i steer to the left or the right, the higher the speed the louder the humming grinding type noise. it could possibly be a wheel bearing but i just replaced all the pad, rotors, calipers, drums and cleaned /re greased the bearings and they seemed fine. the boots on my steering rack are deteriorated and torn could i need a new rack
    also when i steer left only the tire squeals and doesnt get great traction i think its a allignment issue but what parts need replaced usually to get it alligned?
    Btw i have a 1993 ford festiva 5 speed 142,000 red and rusty

thanks in advance, Jesse

No parts-just a piece of string with a hook at one end.

Comment

Sounds like a wheel bearing

Lift the front of the car up to where the front tires are off the ground, place your ha ds on the front tire at 12 o'clock and at 6 o'clock now push and pull and see if there is any movement. There should be almost no movement.
      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Grab it at 9 and 3 and see if it clunks, then grab the tie rod And move it around and see it that makes a clunk
        -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

^x2, my vote is a wheel bearing going. You didn't post your location, but depending on your local climate conditions and road conditions it may require a few other parts be replaced. I would suggest checking tie rods and ball joints for wear first. Then check the rack for up and down movement at the inner tie rod where it attaches to the rack since the boots are gone. It will be easy to see. They should have little to no movement.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

You could take the car to an empty parking lot and drive slowly in tight circles in both forward and reverse and listen closely for noise. If you have jack stands you can put the front wheels off the ground, start the engine, and listen to the noise as the wheels turn while you play with the steering wheel. Actually only one wheel will turn but by blocking that one you can get the other to turn.
            Last edited by WmWatt; 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks im going to check it out, ill post back after work. Im located in Ohio ill add that to my profile.

Comment

Unrelated but there is a emissions part near the wiper motor that goes from the top center of intake to a can, it make a arcing noise I have it unhooked it hasn't made a running difference. the three people at autozone couldn't figure what it was????

Comment

The wheel bearing was bad and the control arm ball joint shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X