crossmember question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crossmember question

My patched engine/trans is ready to install in my clean and decluttered engine bay. I was reading the installation procedure in my 2 manuals and it says to install the crossmember while the engine unit is dangling overhead. My sparkly-clean crossmember is already bolted in ready to accept the motor/trans. Is the manual wrong? It's a '93.

I never had to remove the crossmember to pull the stock engine out, even when i had a B6T, BP, B6, i never touched the crossmember when pulling motors

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
      install the crossmember while the engine unit is dangling overhead.
      yes that is what I gather from haynes

My sparkly-clean crossmember is already bolted in ready to accept the motor/trans. Is the manual wrong? It's a '93.
      ?? is that not already following the manual? How does that make the manual wrong? I think you know what to do...
      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

i always take my motor/trans out the bottom... just a preference i guess
        I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Haha if i tried to drop my engine out the bottom, i'm sure it'd get stuck between the steering rack and rad support :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

yeah that might be a problem. lol
            Walth

Comment

My patched engine/trans is ready to install in my clean and decluttered engine bay. I was reading the installation procedure in my 2 manuals and it says to install the crossmember while the engine unit is dangling overhead. My sparkly-clean crossmember is already bolted in ready to accept the motor/trans. Is the manual wrong? It's a '93.
              Isnt that physically impossible? Install motor/Trans then while its still an hoist. Mount xmember. When all is loosely installed align motor so its "square" in engine bay. Tighten all thre mounts down.........
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                i always take my motor/trans out the bottom... just a preference i guess
                I had to take this motor out from the bottom because my axles wouldn't come out. I Don't plan on ever doing it that way again.

Comment

yeah I checked all three of my manuals last night and they pretty much all say to put the engine into the bay dangling and then install the crossmember but how dangerous if your hoist decides to fail on you. I think I'd install the crossmember and then start putting the engine in.
                  Walth

Comment

Agreed. I've never pulled a crossmember to get the engine out. There is no reason the crossmember shouldn't be installed before you even hook the hoist to the engine.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I will find out this evening.

Comment

Engine is in. Crossmember not a problem. Had to remove rear trans mount before lowering because it wouldn't fit (was doing it alone). Have till Jan 2013 to get it roadworthy when it becomes eligible for historic tags. Probably take that long to clean this box of oil-caked parts.

Comment

Oh I was thinking he was trying to stab motor/Tranny with xmember on the said engine/tranny :eeeeeek: Now I see he was talking about having it installed under chassis. I think its a matter a preference not safety though. If you hoist gives out,how much is the xmember gonna help?

Comment

I seriously don't know why the manual would have someone remove/install the crossmember (which involves unhooking the sway bar mounts also) for an engine/trans R and R.

Comment

I seriously don't know why the manual would have someone remove/install the crossmember (which involves unhooking the sway bar mounts also) for an engine/trans R and R.
                              I really like the Ford manuals.They are ebay items for @ $15.00-$25.00. They are very well detailed. I brought a couple to work and more than one wrench commented.Saying wow those are some very nice manuals. I especially like the tranny teardowns. They walk you thru the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X