Water Pump/Alternator Belt too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump/Alternator Belt too tight?

How tight is the water pump/alternator belt supposed to be on a bp? It just occurred to me i may be tightening it too much. I have thrown 2 belts while racing so of course i make sure they are super tight when I replace them.... how tight is too tight? Or am I throwing them because I'm putting them on too tight and they are shredding or something?

you shouldn't be able to take the belt and twist it 90* with your fingers at the longest point. if you can, it's too loose, if you can't get it anywhere near 90*, it's too tight.

you can also use the ruler method (better for V style belts) again at the longest point. span a ruler between the pullies and another pushes on the belt in the middle of the span. less than 1/4" is ideal, but more than 1/8".
    Last edited by FestYboy; 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Yeah I can't get it to turn 90 degrees, but the belt is getting pretty hot, it's probably just something i've never noticed happening. I'm just concerned driving it so far and throwing/breaking a belt.

Comment

You can tighten it to the point where it won't deflect at all, but your bearings probably won't last very long.

Comment

Make sure your sheaves (pulleys) are aligned properly as well. The sheaves can also wear out due to slipping, which can accelerate the slipping issue & throw belts. Never "roll" the belt into the groove or pry on it to get it on.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

you can read through this thread too... devon's been having some issues with it lately

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Deflection should be 3/8" for a worn in belt according to Haynes manual.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

hence the "no more than 1/4" when installed" (allowes for stretch)
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                X