Knuckle preload spacer missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle preload spacer missing

How do you know what size spacer is needed between your bearings ?

trial and error, gotta figure out which one give you the right pre-load.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

how do you do that?

Comment

you need a preload tester and lots of time. might be better off just sourcing another front knuckle assembly with the spacer.
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

i just used what came out and i have no problems,if i had to guess the size, it was about an 1/8 of an inch, the bearings are pressed on the spindle, the spacer or shim is used to take up the gap between the 2 races, i do have a spare spacer kicking around here some where though. i will try to find it up and measure for sure,
          Last edited by blitzbuggy; 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM.
          B6 with lightweight Flywheel, FMS street cam
          Holy heck gee willickers its fast!!drool

Comment

Lots of info has been posted in this forum. Do a search on front wheel bearings. You need and inch-pound torque wrench although one guy used a spring scale taped to a rod. Some people on this site have the special tool. You might find one at a garage or Ford dealership. Kia dealships should have them. Here in Ottawa you can buy the spacers from a Kia dealership for $10 each on special order and you have to know what one you need. There are 21(?) in the set, each slightly thicker than the next.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

So many of the cars I've taken apart have number # 10 installed. Have you folks found this to be true? Jus wondering....
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                So many of the cars I've taken apart have number # 10 installed. Have you folks found this to be true? Jus wondering....
                Not me, I have seen all kinds of different sizes. Normally using the ones that came out works. (don't mix up sides)
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

11,12,14,16 on the 4 wheels I've done.
                  Parts clerk at Kia dealership says they start with #12
                  and do trial-and-error. Guess they don't have the tool.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                    Not me, I have seen all kinds of different sizes. Normally using the ones that came out works. (don't mix up sides)
                    All I've seen is 10,11 & 12. And I just put em all on the bench and swish em around. Then I have my kid pick a couple that look good. Then I install those,works like a charm

Comment

I have 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 shims. I've found mostly 10s, 11s and 12s in hubs. I have the tools and shims, and I'm not afraid to use them!!!

Oh, and my local Kia dealer stocks 8 thru 13, too!
                      Last edited by FB71; 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                        I have 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 shims. I've found mostly 10s, 11s and 12s in hubs. I have the tools and shims, and I'm not afraid to use them!!!

Oh, and my local Kia dealer stocks 8 thru 13, too!
                        Yes somebody concurs with me. Now I know I'm not going Krazy ! (I know thats debatable) I inherited a 1/2 gal bucket of misc shims. And was soooo happy,cuz I thought I'll be all dialed in. Come to find out most of them were 9 thru 13's. My guess was that my relative found this to be true as well? But anyway I have a plethora of odd sizes that I NEVER use. :eeeeeek:

Comment

After my first backyard replacement set of front bearings baked themselves and seized within 1000 km I had a garage press in the second set of races properly. There was some play in the bearings when the axle nut went on (using the existing not-quite-right spacer) but that car has travelled 60,000 k since and nothing undo has happened either. I can similarly confirm that Kia does stock (or least acknowledge the existence of) 21 versions of preload spacers for Rios and presumably Festys and Aspires. Some car engineering is both smart and stupid at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                          X