Exhaust manifold heat shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust manifold heat shield?

Is it that important? My bolts are broke off of mine and it wont stay on.

sent from my EVO hacked with Vaelpak GB AOSP with Tiamat 3.3.7 Kernel
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

I have the opposite problem. My bolts are fine, but the heatshield rusted off around the bolts. If you decide to leave it off and not extract and tap the bolt holes, you have a customer for the shield.

Comment

I don't know how to tap.

Couldn't you use washers to hold yours on

First time owner

Comment

I haven't had one in years. Don' plan on ever replacing it. Seems to just be in the way.

Comment

Good to know!

First time owner

Comment

You don't have to worry about it. My started rattling a couple of years ago and I just ripped it off and there has been no detrimental effect because of it. I think it is only there to keep you from burning you hands on the manifold. It isn't worth losing any sleep over - that's for sure!

Comment

I'd leave it off for speed gains thru weight loss anyway. That's like a whole pound or something.. maybe even get some cash for it at the scrap yard, that's like a double win!
              Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

More like a few oz.

Mine was rusting away at the bolts, but when I had the manifold off to great surprise it turned out to be easy to get the bolts out with little vise grips and so I just welded washers into the shield and re-installed. They haven't rusted thru after maybe 5yrs now.

Comment

Visible heat shields (as opposed to underbody deciduously-disappearing pieces of sheet tin between the floor, gas tank and the Cat) are likely 'consumer safety' items so that enthusiastic engine compartment 'touch-me' novices don't burn themselves as badly as they would have on a bare pipe. But if you have one, and it hasn't fallen off, don't be in a rush to tear it out. Radiant heat and other weird and wonderful things do effect wires and other important things in the long term.

Comment

So how do I "TAP" the bolts out?

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                      So how do I "TAP" the bolts out?

No you dont "Tap" them out jbuck. A "Tap" is what you use to clean the threads of the hole where the bolt once was.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Drill a hole smaller than the bolt and use an Easy-Out. If you don't know what one is, ask at a parts place. Easier to ask than to try to describe except to say that it's a left-hand twist-threaded device.

Comment

I did a BP swap 1.5 years ago. When I did the swap I took off the heat shield and replaced it with header wrap. So safety is not a problem. With header wrap I can quickly touch the headers at full heat and not be burned (not recommended). If you are looking for a good solution to keep heat away from the engine bay this is a great option.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                          -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Working...
                          X