Sloppy Gearshift, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy Gearshift, why?

Just bought a 93 FESTIVA, 5spd. The transmission is strong but the gear shifter is super sloppy. What could be causing this? Where can I buy the part?

Michael

There is information and photos in past postings on replacing the parts at the bottom of the shift lever. Try a search on gear shift or shfiting.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

NAPA Altrom part #ATM 0771303. There are six of them total. Searching "shifter bushing" should bring up a few threads about you to go about replacing them.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

The urethane bushings in the shift linkage under the car have worn out and fallen out. You need to find some new ones and put them in. It's not too bad of a job.

Comment

I just did mine.One bushing was missing. Its like driving a new car.You wont believe the change. I got mine at kia fyi.They are like 3 cents each
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Nitrofarm: When you purchased Festy-compatible bushings at KIA what make/model/yr of vehicle did you specify? Or are these things generic Mazda-Kia-Ford?

Comment

Mazda has them also. Search on here for shifter bushings & you will find Mazda & NAPA part #'s.
              If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Mazda part #s: B001-46-062 x4 GJ2146041 x1 those are bushings & B09246047 x2 those are metal pipes that slide into bushings, I only needed 2 you may need 1 for each bushing. And B00146133 bolts for same , I only needed 1, you may need 1 for each. The bushings are cheaper at NAPA part # ATM0771303, they did not have the other parts.
                Last edited by navdoc101; 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM.
                If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  Nitrofarm: When you purchased Festy-compatible bushings at KIA what make/model/yr of vehicle did you specify? Or are these things generic Mazda-Kia-Ford?
                  2001 kia rio......... and the white plastic bits for the actual shifter fit as well. The rio has a little differnt style shifter seal. The large one that actually attaches to the floor board with the 4 studs on the stamped steel frame( I got the rio one & its a little to small). But after talking with my Kia parts man. I've found I can get the WHOLE assmb for only $85.:eeeeeek: I think I might opt for this in future needs. It comes with EVERTHING its all assembled. Shifter,rods & ALL hardware.But I'm not sure on the length of the shifter rods. But this can be adjusted by redrilling the 4 shifter seal holes. To me its a pretty good deal,cuz then you dont have to do the "falling shifter" mod.(which is easy I know) But the rubber mounts that break away and cause the shifter to fall will now actually be doing their job. Again I dont know for sure if this is a 100% plug & play.But I know I could make it look & work like factory. Jus my 2 cents -Nitrofarm
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                  X